Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I can't stress enough to anyone doing any more than changing a flat tire.
If you are going to work on your car you should buy a manual for it.

PS not getting down on you If someone can't afford a manual I am sure there are people here that have spares

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by downstroy@Feb 28 2004, 10:11 AM
I've done quite a bit of work on my Taurus without a manual, and never used a manual. All of the work done has turned out fine ... thanks for that sterling piece of advice
He's just trying to save you some time, now and in future questions. A Haynes or Chilton would have exact manufacturer specs for the torque required for the intake bolts; plus, it would be safer following their directions (if they were available) rather than those on an online forum, be it as awesome as the TCCA or nutty like one of the other online forums.

There is a specific torque, but I don't know it off hand (left my manual at home.) All I know is that if you tighten it too much on my Duratec (which isn't that much since the Duratec is that nice, hard metal aluminum, har har), you can strip the holes really easily.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Feb 28 2004, 11:16 AM
All I know is that if you tighten it too much on my Duratec (which isn't that much since the Duratec is that nice, hard metal aluminum, har har), you can strip the holes really easily.
No, you don't strip the holes, you snap the bolts. Trust me, I've been there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
24 foot pounds

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by downstroy@Feb 28 2004, 10:11 AM
I've done quite a bit of work on my Taurus without a manual, and never used a manual. All of the work done has turned out fine ... thanks for that sterling piece of advice
No problem

When it comes time to change your oil and you want to know how much to buy,PM me and I look it up in my manual so you won't be bothered with it.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by mwt+Feb 28 2004, 05:00 PM-->QUOTE (mwt @ Feb 28 2004, 05:00 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-downstroy
@Feb 28 2004, 10:11 AM
No problem

When it comes time to change your oil and you want to know how much to buy,PM me and I look it up in my manual so you won't be bothered with it. [/b]
9 qts. to fill, excluding the filter. There, now he doesn't need your manual Mike.

I know the 97 upper intake is about 60 ft-lbs, not sure on the 91 though.

>>Does any of this sound retarded? Of course it does! This is the kind of mis-information you can get on a forum. Honestly, the manuals are around $10, less than an oil change.

At any rate, the torque spec listed on my service CD is 15-22 ft-lbs.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
9 qts. to fill, excluding the filter. There, now he doesn't need your manual Mike.

I know the 97 upper intake is about 60 ft-lbs, not sure on the 91 though.[/b]
Wow, you actually scared the heck outta me, Bob

·
Registered
76 Posts
thats not true. The Chilton's manual didn't show the torque for the lower intake. Just the upper one at 12-17ft-lbs. So the lower intake is 15-22ft-lbs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts