Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus 2006 SE
Can someone give the right torque for the 3 bolts indicated on the photo?
Thanks
White Wheel Product Automotive tire Black

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 isn't a bolt you actually tighten, it's just to grab on to release tension. The other two are 35 ft/lbs.
Ok let me be clear: T
Gesture Font Auto part Circle Art

his pic shows what my manual indicates, however the one marked with
the arrow, lost pressure by mistake, need to tie back, 18 -20?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ok let me be clear: T View attachment 219634
his pic shows what my manual indicates, however the one marked with
the arrow, lost pressure by mistake, need to tie back, 18 -20?
Question mark has no torque, it's how you relieve belt tension. Putting a wrench on it and pulling towards bumper relaxes the spring so you can get the belt off.

If you managed to loosen it, just go gut n tight, it has no value lol

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Question mark has no torque, it's how you relieve belt tension. Putting a wrench on it and pulling towards bumper relaxes the spring so you can get the belt off.

If you managed to loosen it, just go gut n tight, it has no value lol
I see what Ice is getting at - the bolt that shouldn't be moved got moved. Now the idler pulley can be a loosening failure possibility.

At this point I would take it out the rest of the way and put red Loctite on the threads and yeah - tighten the bejeezus out of it.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I see what Ice is getting at - the bolt that shouldn't be moved got moved. Now the idler pulley can be a loosening failure possibility.

At this point I would take it out the rest of the way and put red Loctite on the threads and yeah - tighten the bejeezus out of it.
"bejeezus"? That is a technical term I guess. For the standard hex head bolt, the combination box/open end wrench has a length that is proportional to the standard torque for that bolt thread. So forever in history, we just pull hard on that wrench and you are good. The kicker today is the head with a flare on it where the hex is small compared to the thread. Then there is Torx.
In places that I cannot get a good pull, I hit the wrench with a plastic hammer couple licks after a hard pull. I use that on disc brake anchors and pan drain plugs. Engine bolts and wheel lugs are special cases and need torque wrench settings, as wheel spindle nuts.
-chart-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts