Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Absolutely luv my '04 SEL, even if I paid a little too much for a non-status car... (as per some other recent post...)

Question is, what does the torque curve of the Duratec look like? Mine feels kind of like my SHO down low, then takes off (whee!) and then runs out on the top end. Really, it's fine to me, I rarely get on it anyway. But sometimes it feels like no matter where I hit the gas in the RPM range, it takes off like a rocket, and sometimes it just lags, and never really goes. I'm driving it in regular D around the city, not in overdrive.

How do you race your tec's? Like in my Mustang AOD, we run "d" off the line, then when it pulls into 2nd gear, we pull the selector back into 1st gear to hold it in second until we're tached out and ready for 3rd, then put it back into "D"

I've heard people rave about the Duratec low-end torque, but I honestly don't feel much. If I floor the car on dirty smooth pavement, it rarely chirps, which I heard is a 'tec characteristic- floor the car, and it'll spin the fronts. (Especially with as much weight shift as the car has- wow! It's like the USS Minnow!)

Anyway, just looking for 1. How to drive it to it's potential, and 2. Some opinions on my car's behavior...

Thanx!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The Duratec definitely has a lack of low rpm torque compared to say a pushrod GM 3800.

It comes down to displacement, basically. And 3.0L is not that large, especially with a power sapping automatic. The only thing you can really do to improve low end tq is a positive displacement supercharger, or increase the displacement. All other engine modifications just move the power band higher.

And as far as the shifting goes, you're wasting your time manually shifting it. It will learn more aggressive shift points if you WOT it for a bit and should shift near redline on the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts.

To get the best acceleration brake-tq it to about 1500-2000rpm (just do it quickly, holding it there will fry the converter) and floor it. You'll get some spin, but if you are on a decent surface it'll launch nicely. The Duratec has a slightly looser converter so that it'll get into the power band quicker than the Vulcan. A little spin is much better than bogging off the line, because it doesnt have a ton of torque to make up for it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I was looking for. I did notice that after a few days of more agressive driving, the car shifted with more snap- especially from 1-2 and 2-3 where the shifts are virtually undetectable most of the time.

Is the power NOW feel of the band at about 2,500 about right? I would assume that the Tec has a fairly pointed torque curve, engineered by Ford to be calm at all cruising speeds, but shoot you either 1. onto the highway or 2. past a car on a 2 lane, which is exactly where the power feels best. If I'm running 35 mph, and push it to the floor, (or 3/4) it takes off, and feels really good.

Thanx for the input!

JD

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
If you ever race do it from a rolling start at around 15 and floor it. :D
Also, Mine doesn't really start to pull until 3,500-6,000 rpm. Also, shut your traction control off it you have it. I have on numerous occasions almost got rear ended when it kicked in and I just sat there at 1,500 rpms for 5 seconds or so. :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
It definitely has better highway power than stoplight drag power. I raced my gf in her new 03 Maxima (255hp) on the expressway and she couldnt pull away if we raced from the same gear. Her's is a4 speed auto also.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Dirt@Jun 28 2004, 10:39 PM
Hi all,

Absolutely luv my '04 SEL, even if I paid a little too much for a non-status car... (as per some other recent post...)

Question is, what does the torque curve of the Duratec look like? Mine feels kind of like my SHO down low, then takes off (whee!) and then runs out on the top end. Really, it's fine to me, I rarely get on it anyway. But sometimes it feels like no matter where I hit the gas in the RPM range, it takes off like a rocket, and sometimes it just lags, and never really goes. I'm driving it in regular D around the city, not in overdrive.

How do you race your tec's? Like in my Mustang AOD, we run "d" off the line, then when it pulls into 2nd gear, we pull the selector back into 1st gear to hold it in second until we're tached out and ready for 3rd, then put it back into "D"

I've heard people rave about the Duratec low-end torque, but I honestly don't feel much. If I floor the car on dirty smooth pavement, it rarely chirps, which I heard is a 'tec characteristic- floor the car, and it'll spin the fronts. (Especially with as much weight shift as the car has- wow! It's like the USS Minnow!)

Anyway, just looking for 1. How to drive it to it's potential, and 2. Some opinions on my car's behavior...

Thanx!
hey my 04 does the same thing. some times it takes off, other times it lags. will you please do me a favor, when you get a chance, pop your hood, with your car running and in park, barely barely press the gas pedal. stand half outside the door so you can listen in the engine compartment. and tell me if you hear a big woosh of air towards the back of the engine before the engine revs. like air is being pushed out of somewhere really quick before the engine revs. kinda like what it sounds like when a snorkler is spitting the water out of his air tube thing.. mine is doing that and i'm not sure if its normal or not. i take the car in thursday morning, so if you could check and let me know before then i'd really appreciate it! thanks! and welcome to the club!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts