Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think most TC re-manufacturers will use the upgraded pump drive washer, probably sonnax part FD-WS-31. though it is still best to check with the remanufacturer.
As an update, I think that TC remanufacturing is not using updated torque converter pump drive splines. Even though they said so in their email, I received two torque converters from rockauto (3 tab and 4 tab) ( F68E and F68E-2 ) since I did not know which one I would need, and they both seem to have regular torque converters splines. Does not look like sonnax part FD-WS-31, but cannot be sure yet, will figure out a way to measure. I will be looking into this further, but aside from the splines, it seems there is some dirt in the torque converters. The plastic cover that is supposed to cover the torque converter hub was not on either of the torque converters. I think this is no good, being that these are pretty expensive, 150 +100 core charge. I was under the impression that TC remanufacturing was previously Dacco, but that seems to not be the case. I am thinking I will return these two.
I am looking into other remanufacturers. I am thinking to try Transtar (Recon ?) or Precision Of New Hampton.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got mine at autozone for about $125. You may be able to do better with sales promotions. I did need to verify the part with a TC rep before buying to make sure I had the correct one for my Sable. This practice is recommended on the AZone website. Been in about a year now and no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
TC Reman. didn't respond to my email asking about the torque converter splines, so I held off on buying for now. Partsgeek.com has some old-stock DACCO torque converters, and if those converters are in the worldpac catalog, I may be able to order one from Carquest to save on shipping. DACCO made a video about the spline issue:

I have a trip to CA coming up in 3 months and am considering driving. In that case, I'll definitely want a reman. torque converter in the car, new trans. cooler hoses, and other new parts I can think of. The fuel filter I recently changed was old & crusty, and the fuel pump in my previous Taurus failed at similar mileage, so I may add a high-quality fuel pump to that list. I like this car enough that I want to keep it for 3-4 years.

I'm going to replace the front struts, left ball joint, serp. belt, front crank seal and rebuild the alternator soon, and drop the transmission at a later time. When I drop the subframe I'll repaint it, replace the subframe & engine/trans. mounts.

I think I'll replace transmission cooler hoses/lines with barbs and hose as in this thread:

·
Registered
23 Posts
When ordering the TC from Autozone, the following statement is on the web site:
"DACCO is no longer supplying torque converters. For availability and technical support, call TC Remanufacturing at 1-800-882-6089".

I had luck with the 800 number and they were very helpful in confirming I was ordering the correct unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I'll replace transmission cooler hoses/lines with barbs and hose as in this thread:
FYI, in case you want to go the OE route, the factory transmission cooler line fittings are surprisingly still available.
The ones that go into the radiator are "1F2Z-7D273-AA"
The ones that go into the transmission are "F7DZ-7D273-AA". I ordered them from TASCA, and it took about a month to arrive. This is for a 2000 DOHC, though pretty sure it is the same up to 2007.

Also, the "quick disconnect" feature was not working on the fitting that goes into the bottom of the radiator. This is supposedly a common issue. The steel pipe was rusted, and became "rust jacked", plus there was dirt inside, so the tool would not go inside and release the pipe. The fitting is a 25mm, and I did not have such a socket, so I had to remove the radiator, and use an adjustable wrench to take the old fitting out, and install the new one (with some teflon tape at the base). I was able to purchase OEM cooler lines as well. I've read these parts are no longer available, but that does not seem to be the case. The OEM ones I got have double o-rings inside, plus I used transmission fluid to lubricate the new pipe before installing. I read aftermarket fittings tend to leak.

I am sure that tapered 1/4 inch NPT fittings will work, since people here have stated so and had success with that, but I have doubts that the factory fittings are actually tapered. The threads on the OE fittings look relatively straight. I don't know if the threads in the transmission itself are tapered, though.
It's not clear how they address the fitting in the radiator when they replace the factory lines. If you cut the pipe at the radiator, the part you leave inside the fitting might be rusty, and potentially leak.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts