Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we bought this car for my partner to get back and forth to work. I wish I had the money to make this car run how its supposed to. I've never been able to experience the car's true performance. We bought it for 800 bucks because it needed an alternator! Changed it and not 15 minutes after we bought it, the check engine light came on. It was the torque converter clutch. I took it to a local transmission shop, and since we were hoping this was just a temporary car that we could drive until we got back on our feet he told us not to worry about it too much, the RPM's would just flux on the highway....

I for some reason didn't put 2 and 2 together, because the gas mileage is horrible. It's a small V-8 though so I figured I'd change the plugs, clean out the throttle body and the butterflies. Gas mileage has stayed the same if not gotten worse. Where do we start with this...do we replace the solenoid, or do the converter typically go with the solenoid. I don't have a lot of money to put into this car. I would like to fix it, but it now has 130,000 miles and I'm not sure if the cams have been welded, so I feel like its a ticking time bomb! Any help would be great guys, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no! The car is so smooth we didn't notice for a while that it was even doing it. Thanks for your prompt response.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the tcc is controlled by the tcc solenoid. I would check the wiring first. there is a chance replacing the solenoid will fix it. I am not great with trans issues. There are a couple members here who know more then I do when it comes to this.
I know others have had luck when changing the fluid and filter. Others have had to replace the valve body to correct a tcc code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its been driven like this for miles and miles. Should I do the power brake test to see if the actual converter is gone by now?

What wiring would I check? The actual wiring to the valve body?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I would look at all of the wires going to the trans. Normally when a torque converter goes bad you get the chatter/shudder. I am thinking the tc is still good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome awesome....this might be a stretch with the wires, but the battery light is on...and has been on forever new battery and alternator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace that tcc solenoid. I wish they would have posted that write up. Unless they are talking about the "How I fixed my a4xn" post by powertool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts