Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A/C didn't work.... so the Texas weather stepped in to help. Tornadoes hit Burnet County this evening.

8" branch broke off a neighbor's tree and landed on Craptour. Trees are down all over town. Planes are flipped at the county airport. EMS sirens are going crazy... good day to NOT be working in the ER!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Ouch! Could be worse...you could have had a new sunroof. Or convertible.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Man that sucks Luke :( Hopefully you can find some replacement glass at the junkyard. That'll be fun to vacuum up...

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On closer inspection I found the branch bent the window frame near the 3rd brake light. I'll need to straighten it out before I can install new glass, but it looks easy to straighten out. My Morris was parked in a tent "carport" which was ripped apart. No damage to the Morris.

I drove around town last night to check out the damage. Two of my immediate neighbors have trees on their homes. City trucks and bulldozers have been cruising around all day picking up debris and fixing power lines. We didn't get hit that bad really. The worst was 15 miles East of here. Buildings were torn down, but AFAIK no one was injured.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:eek:

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my way to work this evening I saw topless buildings, demolished RV's, enormous trees split or uprooted, bent flag poles, and crushed cars at the Dodge dealer.

Looks like high winds here, not a tornado. Damage is mild to severe, but spotty, not isolated. During the storm, I walked onto my front porch and I could hear the tornado. To think it was roughly 10-15 miles away, and it sounded like freight train rolling by about 1/2 mile away.

Another storm is brewing right now :noes:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Damn, that really sucks to see :(

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
:blink: Yikes...that reminds me of my area in 1998, except ours was a microburst instead of a tornado...glad to hear no one was hurt, though.

I was gonna ask about the Morris...glad it made it through. :)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Sorry to hear it Luke. Just something you have to deal with in this part of the country.

Mike
:sad:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That same storm did some damage in north Austin, strange thing is, I live right by downtown, and we never seem to get the hail that other parts of Austin get, even when the worst of hail producing storms move by. I think the buildings downtown weaken the storms enough so they don't produce such large hail. I sure wouldn't want to be stuck with a car without working a/c in this 100 degree humid heat!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (mwt @ Jun 13 2009, 12:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731966
Sorry to hear it Luke. Just something you have to deal with in this part of the country.

Mike
:sad:[/b]
Yep, just goes with the territory. I actually love the crazy weather. Searing 100+ temps in the afternoon followed by a quick and severe t-storm in the evening to cool everything off. Hate the [email protected]#kin' mosquitos though.

The second storm rolled back on itself and sent several tornados to the west of me. I didn't get a drop of rain that night.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to hear it man.....I'm getting well schooled in tornadoes. Greensburg is only 100 miles from here. I think they just now got a grocery store open there.

Tim

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (spridget @ Jun 14 2009, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732234
QUOTE (mwt @ Jun 13 2009, 12:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731966

Mike
:sad:[/b]
Yep, just goes with the territory. I actually love the crazy weather. Searing 100+ temps in the afternoon followed by a quick and severe t-storm in the evening to cool everything off. Hate the [email protected]#kin' mosquitos though.

The second storm rolled back on itself and sent several tornados to the west of me. I didn't get a drop of rain that night.
[/b][/quote]
You could try putting some bat houses out back, at least in Austin, we have all those bats to eat them all up, if it wasn't for the bats, it would be awful to be outside at night, since I live near Lady Bird Lake. When I have my outside light on, a small group of bats will hang around for a snack.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (austex04 @ Jun 16 2009, 12:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732623
You could try putting some bat houses out back, at least in Austin, we have all those bats to eat them all up, if it wasn't for the bats, it would be awful to be outside at night, since I live near Lady Bird Lake. When I have my outside light on, a small group of bats will hang around for a snack.[/b]

Good suggestion. We had bat houses at the house where I grew up in south Austin. I live not too far from Longhorn Caverns, and there are naturally bats in the area. But there are several nearby creeks and draws that turn into nasty stagnant puddles in the summer... breeding grounds for skeeters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts