Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will preface this by saying I don't know what the internals on the new Taurus are, and that is the biggest limiting factor.

A 75 shot is the largest I would go on a stock engine, especially if the pistons are silicone impregnated and not forged. Once you start going above that you are going to need to start upgrading things unless you just really feel like trashing your engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I will preface this by saying I don't know what the internals on the new Taurus are, and that is the biggest limiting factor.

A 75 shot is the largest I would go on a stock engine, especially if the pistons are silicone impregnated and not forged. Once you start going above that you are going to need to start upgrading things unless you just really feel like trashing your engine.

If i do anything it will be infact a 50 shot. The car is also still under warranty so im pretty sure if i add a Nitro kit it will violate this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised no one has really gotten to a higher speed than 120-130. I've topped the speedometer and it kept going after 140 a couple times in a few races. I'd say I've hit maybe 150-160.

And yes, the timing on Cyclone and EcoBoost block is fragile and you wouldn't ever wanna push your engine past 7k RPM. The Mustang is also prone to this as it used the same block configurations. Essentially the timing can get very screwed up typically around 7200-7500 RPM and a shot of NOS will shove that crankshaft spinning well past the redline and possibly result in a blown top end of the motor.

I'd say I'm pretty surprised at how stable the car is, granted how much it weighs, at high speed. I'm actually unsure of the governor limit on the car since I've never really had one enabled on mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never needed to go 130 mph, but that is what I heard the SHO is governed at. My 300 hp Seville was set at 150.
1998 and up Seville's were governed at 155 mph for the STS and 130 for the SLS. They tested the wipers up to 120. It was a great car to drive as long as you carried enough oil. My 1990 Taurus SHO was good for all of 140. I had friends clear the road before I tried that. I used to live in Germany and bought and rented lots of cars while is was there. I couldn't tell you how fast I went because I've buried so many speedometers. I've counted my lucky stars for years now, but, recently I took my 2007 AWD Lincoln MKZ for a ride to 120. The 3.5 is bulletproof...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised no one has really gotten to a higher speed than 120-130. I've topped the speedometer and it kept going after 140 a couple times in a few races. I'd say I've hit maybe 150-160.

And yes, the timing on Cyclone and EcoBoost block is fragile and you wouldn't ever wanna push your engine past 7k RPM. The Mustang is also prone to this as it used the same block configurations. Essentially the timing can get very screwed up typically around 7200-7500 RPM and a shot of NOS will shove that crankshaft spinning well past the redline and possibly result in a blown top end of the motor.

I'd say I'm pretty surprised at how stable the car is, granted how much it weighs, at high speed. I'm actually unsure of the governor limit on the car since I've never really had one enabled on mine.
The Yamaha/Vulcan V6 SHO engine was good to between 8200 or 8500 RPM's. The accessory pulleys limited the engines to 7200. Mine wasn't modded, but my friend was getting around 500 horsepower out of his engine with a bolt on and little more. The engine took it just fine.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts