Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten myself a 2013 Ford Taurus SEL. I havent really opened it up yet. So i figured it was maybe worth asking what is the top speed of these cars? Is their a governor on them?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not sure what the top speed actually is, I myself have gotten to 120 before having to slow down. There's a governor on every manufactured car though

·
Registered
2013 SEL
396 Posts
I touched 120 once (very open road and lots of visibility). The car felt good and was still pulling pretty hard, but railroad tracks were rapidly approaching and I wasn't going to hit it at triple digits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks for the replies! I previously had a 97 Ranger XLT that was limited to 105mph, so 120 is actually pretty unexpected. I cant imagine how fast the SHO could go.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Manufactures "usually" limit the speed based on the speed rating of the factory tires I'm told.

My brother-n-law just bought a '15 Ram 5.7 Hemi and said it gets to 108 in a very short time, but that's max. My sister works for Dodge and I asked about why my BIL couldn't break 108? "Tire rating" She said you can tune it with a programmer but you'll void the warranty.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
396 Posts
Manufactures "usually" limit the speed based on the speed rating of the factory tires I'm told.
That's been my understanding of Ford anyway. Tire Rack says the stock tires are H-rated, 130mph. I could swear my stock tires were V-rated, 149mph (the main reason I purchased V-rated for my current tires was to maintain dynamics of the stock tires). I'm not sure where Ford draws the line, but they do let me get to 120.

Only did it once. Unlikely to do it again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's governed, has nothing to do with the tires. I have a 2014 Limited that has the 20" OEM wheels which I believe were (just got new Z-rated BF Goodrich Comp TAs) Z-rated, and it stopped around 110 on a back country road. . .just completely cut out. I just wanted to see what she'd do one time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hit 105 once, like others have said, the car was still pulling pretty strong and the girlfriend didn't even notice because she was watching the cars that were trying to egg me on disappear in the rear view mirror.

Then her next comment was about it seemed like no question that cops would be using a Taurus (she went to police training but decided it wasn't for her), and she knew the police Taurii use a different engine.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
396 Posts
Then her next comment was about it seemed like no question that cops would be using a Taurus (she went to police training but decided it wasn't for her), and she knew the police Taurii use a different engine.
The FWD Ford PI Sedan does use the same engine. The first runs of the AWD Ford PI Sedan also used the 3.5L NA. I've driven them and they were one of the reasons I considered a Taurus for myself.

It seems that AWD is now standard and gets the 3.7L NA, with the 3.5L EcoBoost as an option.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
AWD was always "standard" for PI Sedan. At least in the first model year, choosing FWD resulted in a credit/discount of a few hundred dollars or so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would assume the AWD model would have a lower speed rating then just the FWD models?

Edit: Is it a pain to remove the governor limit on the car? The car i own is still on warranty so i would guess that i would void the warranty?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would think a tuner would do it, but I am told that it would void a warranty. Some say if you take the car in for work simply remove the tune but those I know who work at dealers say they can tell if a new program was flashed in....if they look.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would think the only time they would look at the ecu is when they're doing actual engine work. But it should be simple to flash it back to normal when you go for warranty work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow thanks for the replies! I previously had a 97 Ranger XLT that was limited to 105mph, so 120 is actually pretty unexpected. I cant imagine how fast the SHO could go.
I have never needed to go 130 mph, but that is what I heard the SHO is governed at. My 300 hp Seville was set at 150.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts