Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My 95 Sable struggles and has no power. It will only go 45 MPH at 3000 RPM.
It shifts to 2nd at 3000 RPM at 25 MPH and then to 3rd at 3000 RPM at 45 MPH.
There is a rattle sound like a loose piece of aluminium when I accelerate.

While in park, the engine will rev up to 4000 RPM and then there is a vibration,
but it will only go up to 3000 RPM while driving. The car got new plugs and pcv valve about 6 months ago and a new speed sensor, and ran fine till this weekend. I changed the fuel filter this morning and still have the problem.

Any suggestions?
Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I just went through this when i did my tune up. Check your plug wires or replace them too, also check your throttle position sensor. In my case it was both a bad wire and a sensor. The rattle might be a piston not firing correctly....

Throttle position sensor runs around 20-30 bucks...if you want i can grab one or two at the salvage yard and mail it to you. As for the plug wires, all depends on what you want, cheapeast should be 30 bucks but i'm not sure, I got new ones at the salvage yard for 45 cents a peice...gotta love freshly tuned up cars that get wrecked

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Thats very well possible too...but I'd still check your wires sence you did just do the plugs. If not, tps or cat's.....or some a**h*** put s*** in your gas tank(that happened to my grandma, and it ate her lining out making her need a new tank).....but i'm doubting thats your problem.

Do you have a Check/Service Engine Light?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
if you hear a rattle like that and you can only go 45, It is the catalytic convertor plugged. even with out hearing it myself I am 100% sure. All of the classic symptoms.

But still heed tmonster's advice. There must be a reason that it happened and a misfire will destroy a catalytic convertor In no time at all.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by sablerider@Apr 19 2004, 10:43 PM
if you hear a rattle like that and you can only go 45,  It is the catalytic convertor plugged.  even with out hearing it myself I am 100% sure.  All of the classic symptoms.

But still heed tmonster's advice.  There must be a reason that it happened and a misfire will destroy a catalytic convertor In no time at all.
Yup!

Exact symptoms of my son's Mustang when the cat plugged up on him. 45 MPH tops.

Figure out what's wrong with the engine to cause the misfire.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
isn't there a flushing system for the exhaust system...
disconnect the exhaust manifold & stick in a garden hose & flush...

will it do any good... guess have to use something other than water...

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
It's best to get that cat fixed. My grandpa had that same problem on his '86 F-150, and he figured 40MPH or so was as fast as he needed to go. (He's a real cheap skate). Well, the cat ended up catching on fire and causing even more problems.

So, by what you are describing, you'll definitely need to get that cat replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Yes much cheaper, let us know how it goes.

BTW, whats your mileage on the cats you have?

meow

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you said it was a blocked cat, you are right. I loosened the front cat to let exhaust gasses escape and the car ran fine. I removed everything from the 2 cats to the tail pipe. Now I have to replace everything. Thanks for your help.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
There is a rattle sound like a loose piece of aluminium when I accelerate[/b]
That happens to me too.

Also other problems of my car: Shifts at 15 mph to 2nd ( but top speed is at 120) So i do have part of your problem but is not lackign power. Also do note i have bigger wheels on the car so the computers in the car are off.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Apr 24 2004, 08:34 PM
It'll shift at 15 if you're light on the gas.
i use the regular.

light on gas? what do you mean? i have to add like premium?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
he means a soft shoe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts