Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling the 1997 Taurus due to another major transmission problem. I need to get the car phone jack out, but don't have the right tool and/or knowledge to get the oval dash panel around radio and air controls off. The car phone jack mounts under that panel and need to get it out.

What kind of tool do I need and how do I get the panel off?

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Wal-Mart has them for like, 3 bucks. Def worth the money if you plan on doing audio work on Fords in the future too... coathangers are a pain...lol

J

·
0 Posts
I didn't realize that there was a tool for this, and I just used a small phillips screwdriver, pushed it in the holes, got one side unconnected, then did it to the other side and the radio slid right out...

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by Ryne@Feb 7 2004, 02:26 PM
Wal-Mart has them for like, 3 bucks. Def worth the money if you plan on doing audio work on Fords in the future too... coathangers are a pain...lol
Yup i have two sets of theses... work well

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yup i have two sets of theses... work well

And just what are theses?

Torx? Allen? What?

·
Registered
946 Posts
1/4" steel U shaped tools basically. They have a blunt in, slide in a little and basically bend out ward <--- ---> on each side and it disengages the clip in there and you pull it out.

Tip with coat hangers - make sure both ends are even. Slide it in till it stops. Push out AWAY from the radio just maybe 1/2" and pull. Or use a set of phillip screw drivers as mentioned above.

Coat hangers are tricky, but not impossible. I got so pissed on my last one, I just ripped the radio face off and trashed it. Grr it was a pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts