Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some may remember, i was feeling some grinding feeling at WOT when i was driving my 04 and also when i would turn the wheel a certain way during accelaration. well i finally got around to take it in. they have been so busy they have had my car for the last 2 days now. so they finally call me today to tell me what the problem was. the bolts for the Front Strut Towers are gone. :homer:
i am SOOO stupid!!! i put on the FSTB from my 97 to see if it would fit, but it wasn't fitting right. so i took it off. and i took off the bolts and forgot to put them back on. sooo... apparently that was causing the problem. plus one of the plates are now bent. and he also mentioned that my rims were Sable rims (dua) and that the tires are too wide for this application. (the car). well i don't believe that one. but oh well. so they are gonna replace the bolts, fix the plate, and realign my car. i decided to have them change my oil while they were at it. good thing i put the stock air filter back in and reattached the intake silencer before i took it in. they quoted me about $125 for everything. so some more cash that i could of spent getting my performance chip reburned for this car... is gone now due to something so stupid. for some reason i was thinking i got the bolts with the FSTB. guess not. :(

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
LOL :lol:

Sorry Sarah, but I had to laugh! Don't get me wrong tho, I've done some pretty bonehead things myself, like filling the crankcase with oil, the whole time wondering why the oil drainplug was sitting on the fender. :unsure:
Or there was the time I couldn't imagine why I wasn't getting any spark in my old Gen 1 after I did the SHO cluster mod (it wasn't plug and play in 1989. :( ) after I ran a tach wire from the ignition coil harness. Took me a whole weekend, and the following Monday to realize that I didn't actually plug the harness back in to the coil. :oops:
And then... um, that's enough outta me. :p

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Firespirit@Sep 10 2004, 01:02 PM
Those g4 Sable rims should be the same size and width as the g4 Taurus rims, I don't see the problem with that. I think they wanna BS you on those rims, Sarah. How big are your tires? No one has ever said anything about my rims being to big, and I upgraded to the 16" from my stock 15" 's with 215/60/60's .
he was talking about the tires. the tires are 225/55ZR16 KS Charger ZR DIR BW and they just wanna somehow screw ya over on the warrenty on anything. even tires. so yeah, i'm dumb. i can not believe i forgot the stupid bolts. and now my car still isn't done. they are waiting on parts. so 4 days now and still without my baby. all my expensive stuff is still in the car. just waiting for someone to steal it. and i'm sure i'll find some kind of scratches on the car from people walking past it all day with tools. i want my car back. well at least it'll drive better. since i've driven with the stupid bolts off for the past 5,000 miles. <_<

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver+Sep 10 2004, 05:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (detroit_raver @ Sep 10 2004, 05:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Sep 10 2004, 01:02 PM
Those g4 Sable rims should be the same size and width as the g4 Taurus rims, I don't see the problem with that. I think they wanna BS you on those rims, Sarah. How big are your tires? No one has ever said anything about my rims being to big, and I upgraded to the 16" from my stock 15" 's with 215/60/60's .
he was talking about the tires. the tires are 225/55ZR16 KS Charger ZR DIR BW and they just wanna somehow screw ya over on the warrenty on anything. even tires. so yeah, i'm dumb. i can not believe i forgot the stupid bolts. and now my car still isn't done. they are waiting on parts. so 4 days now and still without my baby. all my expensive stuff is still in the car. just waiting for someone to steal it. and i'm sure i'll find some kind of scratches on the car from people walking past it all day with tools. i want my car back. well at least it'll drive better. since i've driven with the stupid bolts off for the past 5,000 miles. <_< [/b][/quote]
Eh, sh*t happens! I've finally learned that. You live and learn :) Just make sure you remember to put stuff back on next time :) :p

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sorry Sarah, but I had to laugh! Don't get me wrong tho, I've done some pretty bonehead things myself, like filling the crankcase with oil, the whole time wondering why the oil drainplug was sitting on the fender.
LOL! This has happened to me as well! OMG what a mess!! And it was synthetic too. At about $20.00 for 5 quarts, I couldn't have made a bigger mistake in an oil change (well, maybe if I couldn't take the plug off and decided to drain it with the engine running and the filter off) but that's somebody else!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Sep 10 2004, 10:43 AM
i am SOOO stupid!!! i put on the FSTB from my 97 to see if it would fit, but it wasn't fitting right. so i took it off. and i took off the bolts and forgot to put them back on. sooo...
"To err is human..." Welcome to the human race.

I ... I can't tell you what super dumb thing I did many years ago on a vehicle I had. That may have been the turning point for me to start relying a little more on professional help. ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
lol Sarah, dont feel bad. Ive done some moron things too like Hamal...like when i was wiring my headlight flashers and tried bolting the hot wire onto the battery before i had connected it to the flas- Well, nevermind, i wont get into it, its embarassing. :oops:

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Sep 11 2004, 12:45 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Sep 11 2004, 12:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Sep 10 2004, 05:30 PM
You live and learn :)
...and then get Luv's! :) [/b][/quote]
:lol2: .......those are the BEST diapers!!

well i hope i can get my car back today. i miss it. glad i'm not the only one to do something so stupid. i just hate when dumb mistakes take tons of money to fix! and i hope i don't some how void part of my warrenty now because of it. if something happens down the road, they'll look back in their records and say it had something to do with the bolts being off. and do you think that having those tires on my car will void anything? cause he was saying that they could be causing some of the problem also. <_< .....i doubt.

does $125 sound good for bolts, new plate, realignment, and oil change? i hope it doesn't end up being anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Oil cahnge = $30
Alignment = $50-60
Bolts & Plate = $10-15 (guess)
Labor = $50 (also guess)

Total = $140-155

Those are some guesses. I know the oil change will be 30ish, and the alignment will be no more then 65.

If they show you a break down, I'd be curious to see how close I was...

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by EDIII@Sep 11 2004, 07:06 AM
Oil cahnge = $30
Alignment = $50-60
Bolts & Plate = $10-15 (guess)
Labor = $50 (also guess)

Total = $140-155

Those are some guesses. I know the oil change will be 30ish, and the alignment will be no more then 65.

If they show you a break down, I'd be curious to see how close I was...
I believe you're right, because that's what I'm thinkin' too B)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've done a bonehead mistake to top you though. I borrowed a Volvo from a freind of mine whom I work with. Of course, I had to borrow it because my 98 Malibu, was once again back in the shop!! Anyhow, since I had driven this Volvo to London and back again, I'd figure I be nice and put some gas in it.

umm well... I thought that it was a diesal because weren't all old Volvos diesal?? I drove about a half block from the station, which happened to be my work shop, and pulled in real quick when the engine really started sputtering. Oh Crap!!!

So then I call my other freind to help me siphon the diesal out of the tank. He came by with as many Gas tanks as he could find and a small siphon hose. I also pulled gas line off the carb to prevent anymore diesal from getting into the engine. Then I flipped the ingition into run to activate the gas guage to see how much gas we had to get rid of.

Then about an hour into it, we see the giant puddle forming under the engine. Yes, folks it's deisal fuel. Seemed the old Volvo had a fuel pump on the tank. So we put a second gas tank to catch that and tried to clean up as much gas that had gotten on the ground as we could. Eventually all the gas was purged and we put some good gas in with some gas treatment and got the old beast running again. Although I don't think my humality or pride will ever be the same.

Amazingly, I'm still freinds with the guy. He actually felt bad for me, that is after I picked him up off of the floor for laughing so hard.

That was about 4 monthes ago, and we still can't grow grass in front of our shop.

So Sarah, there are more people in this world that have done some pretty boneheaded things more so then you could ever imagine, so keep your chin up.

Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sarah,

We all screw up sometime. I was selling my '75 F250 to a friend and told him that it was always maintained well. He checked the dipstick and found it was a quart low. Cheese on my face.

I was taking my wife,s car off my trailer and for some reason had the ball unhitched. As soon as the weight transferred to the rear of the trailer, the hitch came off the ball, the trailer rolled forward, and my unblemished tailgate on my diesel had a BIG dent smack in the middle.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts