Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a US Air Force Radio Technician, and recently I was able to go on a little trip to Laage, a German Military Air Station in Rostock, Germany (formerly an East German/Soviet base).

The entire reason for this TDY (temporary duty) was for our US Air Force F-15C pilots to train against the German owned Mig-29 and F-4, primarily the Russian built mig-29 as we have been flying the F-4 since Vietnam. Also, the Germans gave a chance to get a very close look at the brand new Eurofighter Typhoon. If you don't know, it's the European equal to the F-22. However I can assure you. it's in no way equal to the F-22. Although, due to the high security surrounding the Eurofighter, I was not able to take any pictures of flying aircraft.

As I said earlier the base we were deployed to was formerly a Soviet Air Base. As you can imagine the Germans were glad to see them go.

This is what the German decided to do with a leftover Mig-23

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We stayed about 55 miles (half hour Autobahn drive) from the base.

All I can say is, Every once in a while Uncle Sam treats us pretty nice!!

We stayed in Warnemuende, a coast right off the Baltic Sea. We didn't try the water, it's artic waters!! The hotel we stayed was a Four Star Resort overlooking the beach. I think my pictures speak for themselves

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
During this Deployment we did have a JOAP (Joint Oil Analysis Program) machine break. To say the least, if it is a piece test equipment detremental to the proper performance of the the F100 engine, in which the F-15C uses. From what I understand it analyzes oil from the engine and determines what part of the engine may be breaking down before the engine may fail. I'm not exactly sure how it works or what it does, as I'm only a Radio Tech.

Anyhow a decision was made procure a good JOAP from Spangdahlem AFB, at the southern part of Germany. Can we say.. ROAD TRIP!!!

Three guys left immediatly to procure the device as well a 2003 F-350, in which to carry the device.

Then at the end of the TDY, I volunteered to take the truck back and fly home from there.

So I packed all of my luggage and took out for the Autobahn.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To bad I didn't have my bull on the Autobahn... I would have loved to open it all the way up.

The speed limiter on the truck was around 100 Mph or so. Fast enough I guess, but didn't even touch the 5.6 liter engine potential.

Try putting gas in this thing on the German Economy.
A full tank for the cost roughly 160 Eurodollars, that's almost 180 US Dollars!!! :eek: I only did a half tank at a time. FYI. 3.8 Liters = 1 Gallon

So that's around $5.39 a gallon!!! :jawdrop:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Training against their jets huh? Do you fly them at all??? Musta been great to drive on the autobahn! My buddy had an internship in germany and they company gave him a focus to drive... he got to open it up on there, he said it handled quite well!

·
Registered
156 Posts
That buried mig pic looks photoshopped.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly, I don't get a chance to fly. I'm only Radio Maintenance. But I enjoy every minute of it.

We did rent a couple of Nissans while we were up here. We got them up around 180km/115MPH. Handled real nice

No the Buried Mig is deffinetly real.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Noir04@May 15 2004, 05:32 AM
During this Deployment we did have a JOAP (Joint Oil Analysis Program) machine break. To say the least, if it is a piece test equipment detremental to the proper performance of the the F100 engine, in which the F-15C uses. From what I understand it analyzes oil from the engine and determines what part of the engine may be breaking down before the engine may fail. I'm not exactly sure how it works or what it does, as I'm only a Radio Tech.

Anyhow a decision was made procure a good JOAP from Spangdahlem AFB, at the southern part of Germany. Can we say.. ROAD TRIP!!!

Three guys left immediatly to procure the device as well a 2003 F-350, in which to carry the device.

Then at the end of the TDY, I volunteered to take the truck back and fly home from there.

So I packed all of my luggage and took out for the Autobahn.
Oil analysis has been around for a good period of time now. UOA (used oil analysis) can be done on passenger cars as well. You can do any type of fluid, be it engine oil, tranny fluid, or steering fluid.

You drain the fluid and take a sample in a plastic container the UOA company sends to you. You seal it up and send it off to them. Cost is usually around 30 last I checked, but it may have changed.

They analyze the fluid with a spectrometer and mail you back a breakdown of what was contained in the fluid (ie heavy metals, silicon (sand), chemicals, etc etc). They then provide you with a chart showing what the readings of your fluid could mean, (ie possible problems with pistons, sand in oil, etc).

Its all kinda for the hardcore DIY'er, I would never do it, not unless I had a rediculously expensive car (Ferrari or something like that).

Checkout Bobistheoilguy.com for places that do UOA.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Heres a good questoin.. is the whole mig burried.. or is it just the tail thats burried?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looked like it was the back end of it.

I had no idea what the JOAP does, all I know is it was sensitive equipment, heavy as crap, and blocked the rear view mirror while driving 100 mph down the autobahn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts