Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my oil changed at a [unnamed national store chain] auto center. There was oil dripping on ground of my garage so after a couple of weeks and 400 miles, I checked the oil level. It is reading 1cm above the high reading on the dipstick. Should I be worried about this? What damage can it / might it have caused?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (baracus @ Mar 1 2009, 10:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=704116
I had my oil changed at a [unnamed national store chain] auto center. There was oil dripping on ground of my garage so after a couple of weeks and 400 miles, I checked the oil level. It is reading 1cm above the high reading on the dipstick. Should I be worried about this? What damage can it / might it have caused?

Thanks in advance...[/b]
I wouldn't worry about 1 cm.

In an extreme case, if the oil level is excessively high, the crankcase will hit the oil and turn it into foam. Foam doesn't lubricate very well.

Next time you drive, check the oil immediately after turning the engine off. Look for foam. If no foam, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As said above, if it is overfilled too much and the crankshaft contacts the oil it causes the oil to froth up. Then the oil pump has a hard time trying to pump that frothy oil to the engine. This can cause oil starvation.
Many people on cars that take something like 4.5 Qts will put in all 5 Qts and not have an issue. But is is best to put in exactly what the car calls for.

As far as the oil drip, maybe the gasket on the oil filter is bad or the filter is not tight enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts