Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used to have 2-12"s in a ported box(not sure how much air space tho), now i have 1-15" in a sealed box... it hits the lows a little harder the the 12"s but the higher frequencies? :dunno: dont hit hard at all... i can hear them a little, i can see the sub pumping, but wih the 12s everything was hitting hard... i dont know if its because the box is sealed, or if there is too much airspace inside the box... the amp is 460w rms, 900w max... sub is a power acoustik pw2... its about 2.2 cubic feet in my box... i tuned the EQ and the sensitivity knob on my LOC... nothing is helping :blink:

http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/tech_t...sure%20type.htm
sub specs
http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/produc...DIO_wof_pw2.htm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a sub sonic filter? If so turn it off.
[/b]
just checked... no sonic filter... i read on the net that if you dont have enough air space, the sub wont hit the lows. would too much make it not hit the (higher)lows? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Well I did some very brief reading on your sub, and a couple reviews complained about the lack of response.

2.2 is low for a 15 i think.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I did some very brief reading on your sub, and a couple reviews complained about the lack of response.

2.2 is low for a 15 i think. [/b]
With my two 15s, i know air space was a problem, which led to the box literally breaking apart. What I mean by that is the vibrations and air displaced caused the back of the box to seperate from teh rest and over flex in the middle leading to a stress crack that makes it hit horrible. So short and to the point (not), if you dont have problems with a small box now you will later on, in my case, a whole three months later. Hope this helps, Jordan

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was just doing some close listening... its picking up the frequencies, i just cant hear em... i can clearly see the sub humping, and it kinda sounds like the "sound" is being trapped... the lows hit hard tho, my neighbor came out and said his screen door was shaking... maybe i have a problem with my loc or something... i even listened to a 10" in a ported box, i could hear the "problem frequencies", i wanna see if it'll be any different with an aftermarket radio... but because of eatc, im stuck with factory... would a port or 2 help? cuz i can hear them with ported setup, but this is my first experience with sealed... i like the tightness of the sealed tho

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
To me, it sounds like the sub doesn't have enough airspace. Try some polyfill inside the box. That usually will simulate a larger box, and perhaps help with some of the frequency response.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> Well I did some very brief reading on your sub, and a couple reviews complained about the lack of response.

2.2 is low for a 15 i think. [/b]
With my two 15s, i know air space was a problem, which led to the box literally breaking apart. What I mean by that is the vibrations and air displaced caused the back of the box to seperate from teh rest and over flex in the middle leading to a stress crack that makes it hit horrible. So short and to the point (not), if you dont have problems with a small box now you will later on, in my case, a whole three months later. Hope this helps, Jordan
[/b][/quote]

You must have had a poorly built box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts