Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt sell the taurus like i said i would, it seems to be running pretty well so far.

now to the questions. has anyone purchased the Hi-Po3.8 PowerPak from http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/ ?

im just wondering about that in general, and now it would work in a taurus, instead of a mustang. but what is worrying me is my transmission. its already been replaced once, and if i were to build the engine at all, then the added HP and torque would tear it to bits in a very short amount of time (so it would seem)

is it possible to beef up the tranny? or should i just start buying them in bulk?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I remember a discussion about those parts for the 3.8 a while ago. I believe they will fit.

I think out transmission are strong enough to handle the added power. Add a GOOD, LARGE tranny cooler and you should be ok if you don't rag on it too much. From all the failure stories I've heard of theses transmissions, my general belief is that the failures happen weather you drive it hard or not, so why not drive it hard anyway! :lol2:

If you do upgrade your engine, get a chip to firm up the shifts if possible, so the clutch packs wear less and less heat is created. If the trans blows up then put a new one in, if this one fails in the same way then I think it's safe to say that the power and or your driving style has killed it and it's time to look for a beefed up trans. Try and ask the user DMX where he got his trans from, he got a beefed up axod-e from some place for use in his supercharged taurus project

With bolt on parts available for the 3.8, I can't believe only a few people have actually upgraded the 3.8 in their taurus. Once I'm done with the majority of the upgrades on my volvo to get it into low 14's at the strip, I'm going to tackle the sable next. I'd love to pull of a 14 sec 1/4 mile with the sable. Peoples jaws would drop!

I wonder if the engine is strong enough to take that kind of abuse? If it's not I could always fit in a 3.8 from a supercoupe Thunderbird , I've seen some crazy power coming from those cars. If ony someone would put that much time into a Taurus.

Anyway, I'm rambling, good luck with your project!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14's?.....

200 shot of NOS and drag slicks. you might get one, 2 runs tops before something blows up (and it will blow up)

:p

My tranny came to me already on its last leg, it had something like 70k miles on it already, but this one might have a low life expectancy, when i changed the radiator i didnt check one of the cooler lines, it came off while i was driving, i didnt notice for about 40 miles. i reattached it and added 4 quarts of ATF and it seems to drive fine. but the damage has been done, im expecting it last 10k miles max (of mello driving)

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Hey, I can dream The little sables got some potential. Ok, maybe not, but that would still be damn funny!

I woulden't worry about the trans just because it lost some fluid, I bet very little if not no extra damage was done then.

Why do you say your trans is on it's last leg? Because of the mielage, or is it acting up?

Good luck with the car!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i should have been more clear, the tranny in it now is a 4 month old remanufactured trans from ford.

when i got the car, the original transmission was on its last leg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts