Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few members in here talking about using toluene instead of injector cleaner and I had a few questions about it.

Where do you buy it and for how much? I've only found it in Sherwin Williams paint stores for about $12/gal. Seems a little steep to me.

How much do you guys use? I had about 6 gallons of gas in my tank and dumped in a gallon of toluene. Is that an okay mix or is it a little overkill? If I can find a cheap supplier, is it safe to use with every fill up?

I tried doing a little research about toluene and didn't find anything about its cleaning properties, I only saw stuff saying that it's more like an octane booster and it's natural octane rating is about 114. I can't really tell if I'm getting any benefits from the increased octane because we had a cold front roll in the night I poured it in my tank. I also saw somewhere that people were adding xylene as an octane booster and its octane rating was about 117 but, they also said it usually causes cylinder wash. Any truth to all this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
For a good cleaning use a gallon on a full tank. Otherwise use a pint per tank for a maintenance dose. You can get it cheaper at a large hardware store as lacquer thinner.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I haven't used Toluene for years and it may be a great fuel system cleaner and all but whatever you do don't let it set in your tank and fuel system. That stuff will eat rubber or Buna rather quickly.

Mike

B)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Toluene is a component of gasoline. it is also the chemical in the octane boosters. Still I would not let it sit in my tank. Dump it in and run it out. Have fun while doing it too!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Oct 17 2004, 07:44 AM
For a good cleaning use a gallon on a full tank. Otherwise use a pint per tank for a maintenance dose. You can get it cheaper at a large hardware store as lacquer thinner.
So your saying that I could go to WalMart and get a gallon of lacquer thinner and dump it in with a full tank of gas and this would help clean the fuel system???

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Where I live there is 10% ethanol in 90% of the gas. This makes for a very good fuel system cleaner and will keep it clean. If you live in an area where the gasohol; is common I doubt if your fuel system needs cleaning. Otherwise yes, just be sure to run it out and not leave it set in the tank. Add the gallon of toluene and fill the tank up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cool. I have some traveling to do this weekend anyway. That would work out great. The gas over here in Germany sucks. I can tell it every time I fill my tank. I have already had to replace my fuel filter twice since I've benn here. And that's only 2 years. Hope this helps.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts