Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know I need to add extra coolant and coolant does not look "fresh" at all. Do you guys think I should do full flush of the system (and risk leaks or whatever), or should I just top off the coolant and let it sit until 100K?

Also, if I should replace coolant, what brand should I go for?
I am big time leadfoot, I just have to be the first the moment green turns on (though I never go past 15Mph over speed limit - if I don't die in the crash, my better half will finish me off).

Anyway, what do you guys think? Flush or not flush?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Flush it. The longer you wait, the worse it will get. Nasty coolant will eat your coolant passages and gaskets and hoses, with the hoses being the least of your problems (having a headgasket blow is mad uncool). I say, get one of those 10 hour flush kits and get that crap out of there.

Also, if the coolant is heavy brown, then attach a grounding strap to the engine block (or is it the radiator? Either one is good, both is best). Brown coolant could mean a current is running through the coolant, and that stuff is nasty, too

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
A good rule of thumb is you don't want green coolant. It is old technology. If you flush and fill fairly regularly (every year or two) then it's not that big of a deal, but there are much better, longer-lasting coolants available. I use Zerex G-05. Do NOT use DEX-COOL (the orange stuff.) It is incompatible with most other coolants, and Ford will even void the warranty if they find DEX-COOL in the system. Any time you change the type of coolant in the system, you should do a thorough flush. Also, use distilled water when mixing your coolant, especially if your municipality has hard tap water. $2 worth of distilled water will get the job done, so cost is not an issue.

G

·
Flush it. Might even want to look for a local shop that has an actual "flushing machine" - they will usually advertise specials for that - or look for coupons in your local paper. I got mine done at Valvoline instant oil change for like $30 wiht a coupon and they actually backflush it with a machine and everything and refill it for you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Since we're on the Coolant Flushing Topic. I just had my Heater Core replace and a flush done back in the end of November and this past weekend I started getting Coolant odor through my vents, I have an appointment with my local FORD Dealership on Wednesday, do you think they'll just flush the system or actually have to replace the heater core once again.

My coolant was really brown and had alot of sludge, so I had it flushed, and then a year later it was brown again so thats whenI had the dealership replace the heater core and flush it, but the coolant is still green, just the problem with the odor.

So I suggest you flush the system before your problems get worse!!!

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The coolant system is supposed to be flushed out every other year. I would do it before summer sets in.

Taurus3254JA, Antifreeze smell in the HVAC system is a sign of a heater core leak. Sorry. The G3 Taurii have a problem with the coolant turning brown rather quickly. I flushed my coolant system out last winter, and it is already starting to turn brown. I have started using Royal Purple's "Purple Ice" conditioner to try and stop the corrosion. I have a felling the freeze plugs are casuing the antifreeze fouling.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Apr 6 2004, 12:22 AM
Taurus3254JA, Antifreeze smell in the HVAC system is a sign of a heater core leak. 
Seeing as how the heater core is so new, I would suspect a bad connection from the heater hose to the core. This would allow a small amount of coolant to seep or spray out onto the exterior of the heater core, thus stinking up your car when you have the blower running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely get your coolant flushed. I had bad looking coolant and waited too long to get it flushed. I had a freeze plug go out along with 2 cylinder heads, head gasket, etc... had to be replaced. I would have rather used that money to finish paying off the car. So, keep that coolant good. As for where to get it done, I have no suggestions on that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts