Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I managed to get a job and I'm still living at home (and saving up some money). My father can't really use his truck anymore so I have been driving it and fixing it up a bit. Buying a different vehicle, for now, would just be a bad choice because I have access to two.

The car does need a lot of work. The rear springs are definitely done as both of them have broken TWICE. Luckily it was just the top snapping off ... the right rear broke the day after inspection! The "shock" part of the struts are also gone; the right one lost its fluid a long time ago.

In the front, the steering is a bit off ... the car wonders and shakes like there is no tomorrow. Front tires are cupped on the inside.

At most (provided I keep this job) I'm planning on keeping this car until next year then getting into something else and paying down my student loans.

So - I'm having second thoughts about sinking probably $2000 into it - remember it's rusty so labor to get the thing apart will be through the roof - only to get rid of it in a year (or less).

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Sweet baby Jesus do NOT put 2 grand into that car.

If you enjoy owning a Taurus, and have mods that you'd want to transfer over to another one, start looking into lower-mileage, less corroded Tauruses. They are plentiful, and rather inexpensive. The good thing is, you have a good amount of time to look around for one since you have two vehicles to putt around in. If you do find another bull, undercoat the F*CK out of it, the second you get it. Your rust disaster stories are fun and all, but would be pretty lame if the exact same things happened to "bull version 2.0".

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aside from the suspension stuff, there's no heat when the temperature is below 30, leaks coolant, transmission fluid ... its going to be a lot and I end up with something that cabn be sold for $500.

Struts are probably going to be $700 for the rear ... with labor. I doubt I can get the strut tabs out and free the strut from the knuckle.

The biggest thing is deciding whether or not to get the rear springs fixed as it stands right now there is ZERO travel in the rear suspension. It's bottomed out.

It's very unlikely I'll get another taurus ... I don't want another car with doors that don't shut, leaks, front wheels won't stay tight, rattles etc at 70,000 miles. I have seen 2004,5,6,7 Tauruses with wheel well rust so any newer Taurus is going to turn into a pile of rust also.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Then don't keep the car, if it's a rust bucket that has all these problems. I would just donate the car to a non-profit charity (you can write off the blue book value come tax time). Then, get another cheap rust bucket, or come down here and get somthing cheap that isn't a rust bucket. Anything cheap will need some work here and there, but as long as it's not in 2's or 3's you should be fine. Your current Taurus has many issues, and sounds like it's not worth sticking parts alone into it to make it drivable again.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
You have to ask? Absolutely not!

In fact, I'd question whether the car is even safely roadworthy at this point. Drive the truck while you can.

You CAN get a very decent vehicle for $2000 or less if you know where/how to look and if you don't let other people dictate what you can and can't get.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then don't keep the car, if it's a rust bucket that has all these problems. I would just donate the car to a non-profit charity (you can write off the blue book value come tax time). Then, get another cheap rust bucket, or come down here and get somthing cheap that isn't a rust bucket. Anything cheap will need some work here and there, but as long as it's not in 2's or 3's you should be fine. Your current Taurus has many issues, and sounds like it's not worth sticking parts alone into it to make it drivable again.
Would a tax writeoff of the car's value save me more money than just selling it for $500? If the car wasn't so rusty, I wouldn't mind fixing it.

You have to ask? Absolutely not!

In fact, I'd question whether the car is even safely roadworthy at this point. Drive the truck while you can.

You CAN get a very decent vehicle for $2000 or less if you know where/how to look and if you don't let other people dictate what you can and can't get.
It's probably not safe. Unfortunately, my current living situation means that someone else gets to make the choice and I have to pay for it :rolleyes2: A $2000 vehicle in good shape will get me a lot farther for my money than a brand new one.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My $1100 Taurus is now up to about $3700. However, it will have a fresh upgraded transmission, new water pump, DPFE sensor, AC clutch, balljoints, tires, alignment, valve cover gaskets, radiator, and a few other things I don't recall at the moment. It has minimal rust (except subframe issue which I will repair) and I treated the existing rust to stop it. The Vulcan will run forever, and I will change the cam synchro before it fails. I did all the work (except frame straightening) myself. So in the end I will have a good car with 104K on it and not much left to fail for about $4K. If I get 3-5 years out of it without headaches I will be doing well.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Would a tax writeoff of the car's value save me more money than just selling it for $500? If the car wasn't so rusty, I wouldn't mind fixing it.
It's probably not safe. Unfortunately, my current living situation means that someone else gets to make the choice and I have to pay for it :rolleyes2: A $2000 vehicle in good shape will get me a lot farther for my money than a brand new one.
You can write off the book value, of which would be more than what you can sell a car that isn't drivable for. I'm surprised you've had so much trouble with that car, I'm over 100k and only had a couple of minor issues with mine.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was fine until about a year ago then it just started falling apart :/

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
It's very unlikely I'll get another taurus ... I don't want another car with doors that don't shut, leaks, front wheels won't stay tight, rattles etc at 70,000 miles. I have seen 2004,5,6,7 Tauruses with wheel well rust so any newer Taurus is going to turn into a pile of rust also.
If you have ever seen the cars of other members, you will see that not ALL Tauruses have these problems. Heck, mine doesn't have any of those problems and it's 16 years old! Seriously though, it's been all over the country and back again in its 215,000 miles and it has required a few fun repairs along the way. The difference is: I do most of my own repairs.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you have ever seen the cars of other members, you will see that not ALL Tauruses have these problems. Heck, mine doesn't have any of those problems and it's 16 years old! Seriously though, it's been all over the country and back again in its 215,000 miles and it has required a few fun repairs along the way. The difference is: I do most of my own repairs.
Part of owning a older car is doing repairs, if you can't do them yourself, it takes "cheap" out of owning a older car. I know mine will someday need things here and there, of which I'll DIY with smaller issues, and big issues I have a garage I go to where they know how to fix things right the first time, and not hassle about the things that don't need fixing. Rust is a big issue in the north, the Taurus, as well as many other makes/models appear to rust faster than others. The fault of the automaker: no, it's the states that put salt on the roads in winter. That's why cars/trucks are disposable up there, and down here people keep them longer, rebuild engines/transmissions to keep them longer.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car has had a hard life, always being parked on gravel and concrete, potholes, etc. Thing is, there's newer tauruses than mine turning into rust piles.

Part of owning a older car is doing repairs, if you can't do them yourself, it takes "cheap" out of owning a older car. I know mine will someday need things here and there, of which I'll DIY with smaller issues, and big issues I have a garage I go to where they know how to fix things right the first time, and not hassle about the things that don't need fixing. Rust is a big issue in the north, the Taurus, as well as many other makes/models appear to rust faster than others. The fault of the automaker: no, it's the states that put salt on the roads in winter. That's why cars/trucks are disposable up there, and down here people keep them longer, rebuild engines/transmissions to keep them longer.
The issue is more the car is a pile of rust, a rustbucket, if you will. I'm perfectly fine with doing my own repairs provided it's possible.

Have you ever worked on a rusty car? It's just a mess of broken bolts and literally a domino effect of broken parts. If I wanted to replace the heater core, I'd be breaking a ton of bolts to get to it, then all of the coolant lines would just dissolve when I touched them. In the end, it's a lot of piecing together.

If I were to hop in the car and drive it t o california, the engine and transmission would make it. What I would love to do is buy a southern rust-free car with high miles and bad engine / transmission and put mine in.

It's like getting plastic surgery or a heart replacement when you are terminally ill and are going to pass away in the next year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Miller, I know what your going through right now. My old 95 Taurus was a rust bucket. Needed a subframe, and when we took the old one off, the bolt AND the mount on the frame broke. Thus, rendering the car useless as a DD. I sold it to someone who can weld it up and use it in a demolition derby :(

Good luck with the Bull.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm outlawing salt when I become governor. I avoid potholes to the front frame thingy doesn't break lose.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My car has had a hard life, always being parked on gravel and concrete, potholes, etc. Thing is, there's newer tauruses than mine turning into rust piles.

The issue is more the car is a pile of rust, a rustbucket, if you will. I'm perfectly fine with doing my own repairs provided it's possible.

Have you ever worked on a rusty car? It's just a mess of broken bolts and literally a domino effect of broken parts. If I wanted to replace the heater core, I'd be breaking a ton of bolts to get to it, then all of the coolant lines would just dissolve when I touched them. In the end, it's a lot of piecing together.

If I were to hop in the car and drive it t o california, the engine and transmission would make it. What I would love to do is buy a southern rust-free car with high miles and bad engine / transmission and put mine in.

It's like getting plastic surgery or a heart replacement when you are terminally ill and are going to pass away in the next year.
I'm trying to get my mother (who lives in MN) to get rid of her rusty '94 Explorer that's getting close to it's last leg. I put a new MAF sensor in it, I sure wouldn't want to go further than that, since everythings as rusty as the Titanic under there. When she does get rid of it, I'm going to find somthing here that's cheap, and not a pile of rust (she likes my Taurus, so I'll find her one here), and drive it up there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey Austex,

Make sure to check the rear leaf spring shackles. Those tend to rot out first. Hit a pothole on the highway and one of those breaks...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts