Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't think it would come as a shock when I say the Vulcan isn't that great of an engine to build. In theory, the oiling system, block strength and overall design should allow it to make tons of reliable horse power after building it up. It tends to fall right on its face as pretty much everything from the heads up sucks.

From my understanding, it would easily cost you over $2000 to bring a Vulcan past 200HP. That pretty much makes the engine useless for modding.

So I say this to people wondering about this subject, what sounds better?

Blowing a few grand on a Vulcan
Buy a Duratec and be done with it

The one swap option I don't see discussed is putting an Essex back into the 3rd/4th gens. If you got a Windstar and managed to transfer the stock guts right into the Taurus, you instantly have 200HP/230LB.FT, pretty sweet, huh? It wouldn't be much harder to put a 3.8 in a Taurus than say, building up a Vulcan or trying to boost it, it would be far easier. The mount points should still be the same, likely even the transmission mount. The large issue with it would be the size, from my measurements, the newer 3.8 is too tall, you might not be able to close the hood, I could be wrong though.

Other than transferring the wiring over, it can't be too much work seeing as the Van is so similar to the Taurus. From my research, someone with a decent set of tools and knowledge of car wiring/engine removal should be able to complete the swap within a month or two with a little effort.

You just need to find a rotted out Windstar, they're a dime a dozen, Ford even has to recall them now so it's not hard to find them for under $500 with a complete working drive-train!

Now, you're probably asking "but jw, the Duratec could be swapped too and makes good power! It's a direct fit".

That's true, however you can buy a 24v Taurus so what's the point, you can't get a 3.8 in the Taurus so that leaves you with the SHO and it only makes 35 more HP than a 3.8. The 3.8 has the advantage of being a Mustang engine so there is an after market. It makes 35 less HP than a SHO and makes 30 more LB.FT than a Duratec.

If you want to mod your engine, this is where the 3.8 will actually come in handy. There isn't much of an after market for the Vulcan, if you want to push a Duratec past 200HP it'll likely be harder than with an Essex. The Essex should out mod and make more power per dollar than the Vulcan, Duratec or SHO V8. From my point of view, the 3.8 is the best way to go if you want to build a motor up in your Taurus that isn't a SHO. I would just forget about the Duratec and Vulcan. The only limit with the Essex is the drive-train you hook it up to, you can even make 600HP if you really wanted.

Add some displacement if you're really serious about getting power. I wouldn't likely ever do this mod, not because I am incapable but I don't see a point. But, there's quite a few people who would rather work on a Taurus than a sports car so you might as well do it right. You have a Ford engine that can be swapped in pretty easy, it makes real power stock and you even have other forums dedicated to performance on that engine. People swap Windstar parts into their Mustangs as cheap bolt ons. This is the best way to go, unless you're into the SHO and I'm not. :lol2:

Just my thoughts.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love that site.

You know what's sad? That a 2.9 managed 170lb.ft in 1991, the Vulcan never got past 180 in the almost two decades it was produced after the 2.9 was retired. It never made more than a V6 from the early 80s. Damn, Ford, what the hell?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A company should produce a cheap upgrade kit for the Vulcan, perhaps redesign the parts Ford never fixed with the engine. It should be producing over 200lb.ft on a stock setup. Maybe all new better flowing heads and an intake package with a program? I'd love the Vulcan if it made 180ish hp and 200+ lb.ft, that would make it a fun engine with the way it likes to rev. The engine needs a partial redesign in general to make it work right. I wonder how much it would cost to contract a casting company in china for heads and such, they might be able to design and produce it in house for the engine, they already make racing grade SBC/SBF blocks and heads over there. I'm sure all the Ranger owners with Vulcans would love it. Possibly just alter the current design, there's a company in china that already makes thcker Vulcan heads. But we need more than thicker heads.

Heh, I know it sounds completely nuts, but I'm just babbling on anyway.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
You can even run the supercharger from a SC backwards (at least in the 94/95 Taurus) if you wanted a cheap, reliable supercharger that will bolt into place. Its something that with my own garage and a lot of extra time/money to kill might happen someday, but not something that I would go out of my way to do right now just because of limited space. I think there would be quite a bit of engineering, maybe a cowl hood for a G3 Taurus to get the hood to close, but the Essex has a ton of bottom end and would be a blast to drive

On a side note, the 4.6 Conti swap would probably be easier :)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can even run the supercharger from a SC backwards (at least in the 94/95 Taurus) if you wanted a cheap, reliable supercharger that will bolt into place. Its something that with my own garage and a lot of extra time/money to kill might happen someday, but not something that I would go out of my way to do right now just because of limited space. I think there would be quite a bit of engineering, maybe a cowl hood for a G3 Taurus to get the hood to close, but the Essex has a ton of bottom end and would be a blast to drive

On a side note, the 4.6 Conti swap would probably be easier :)
Heh, I wish Ford forgot about the SHO and just installed a modular engine for the performance line, think of the after market we'd have to tap into today. I would have settled for a Super Coupe Taurus though :D

I have a Windstar and owned a Vulcan Taurus. The Windstar would knock the balls off the Taurus no problem off the line. Keeping in mind that the Windstar is like 1000LB heavier than a Taurus that puts it into prospective. It's hard to make an Essex rev high. The Vulcan ran out of guts at 100+KM/h while the Windstar keeps on pullin' and she does it all at a lower rev range.

Keeping in mind that the Vulcan got WORSE MPG than the Essex in the Windstar, it would be safe to say that it'll get close to what the Vulcan does.

The Windstar performance specs:

Acceleration 0- 60 mph: 9.7 s
0- 1/4 mile: 17.2 s

Cut 1000LB off of that time and you have somewhere close to what the Taurus would be with an Essex. I'm guessing it'll be faster than a tec and slightly slower than a SHO. The Essex is a nice sounding V6 too.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Heh, I wish Ford forgot about the SHO and just installed a modular engine for the performance line, think of the after market we'd have to tap into today. I would have settled for a Super Coupe Taurus though :D

I have a Windstar and owned a Vulcan Taurus. The Windstar would knock the balls off the Taurus no problem off the line. Keeping in mind that the Windstar is like 1000LB heavier than a Taurus that puts it into prospective. It's hard to make an Essex rev high. The Vulcan ran out of guts at 100+KM/h while the Windstar keeps on pullin' and she does it all at a lower rev range.

Keeping in mind that the Vulcan got WORSE MPG than the Essex in the Windstar, it would be safe to say that it'll get close to what the Vulcan does.

The Windstar performance specs:

Acceleration 0- 60 mph: 9.7 s
0- 1/4 mile: 17.2 s

Cut 1000LB off of that time and you have somewhere close to what the Taurus would be with an Essex. I'm guessing it'll be faster than a tec and slightly slower than a SHO. The Essex is a nice sounding V6 too.
You don't have to sell me on the merits of the Essex and the modular motors :)

I've owned 5 Essex powered cars, each one had plenty more power than my G3 vulcan taurus, even after upgrades (including the 60mm TB).

·
Registered
424 Posts

I've owned 5 Essex powered cars, each one had plenty more power than my G3 vulcan taurus, even after upgrades (including the 60mm TB).
In the early 00's, both my mom and I owned 3.8L Cougars, so I am somewhat familiar with them too. But just like the fwd/rwd argument of the Taurus & Ranger, I bet the same is true with fwd Taurus/ rwd T-birds. Quick with fwd, but a bit sluggish with RWD. I was privileged to drive a 5.0L Cougar once, needless to say, I peed a little ROFL!!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
If I really wanted to get down and go, I'd take a Fox body Mustang and be done...

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I really wanted to get down and go, I'd take a Fox body Mustang and be done...
LOL, I remember when I was a teenager and thinking to myself "They're so small, how the hell does the 5.0L fit into those?"

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Few Members here attempt the 300hp 4.6L swap from a Lincoln Continental. One came by with a completed swap but had problems with the engine and never stopped by here. He goes by "4.6 BULL".

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Few Members here attempt the 300hp 4.6L swap from a Lincoln Continental. One came by with a completed swap but had problems with the engine and never stopped by here. He goes by "4.6 BULL".
IIRC, didn't he end up selling it without ever sorting out all of his issues? His pics looked awesome though. I think I might have saw the new owner on here at one time also.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Don't let my blatant fanboyism of those two engines bother you ;)

In the early 00's, both my mom and I owned 3.8L Cougars, so I am somewhat familiar with them too. But just like the fwd/rwd argument of the Taurus & Ranger, I bet the same is true with fwd Taurus/ rwd T-birds. Quick with fwd, but a bit sluggish with RWD. I was privileged to drive a 5.0L Cougar once, needless to say, I peed a little ROFL!!
The RWD Essex didn't have the power ratings through the 90s that the FWD version had.

I'm always on the market for one. :)

LOL, I remember when I was a teenager and thinking to myself "They're so small, how the hell does the 5.0L fit into those?"
Well, it fits easier than a modular engine!

I remember that thread, too bad he didn't finish it.

IIRC, didn't he end up selling it without ever sorting out all of his issues? His pics looked awesome though. I think I might have saw the new owner on here at one time also.
The mod motors are so freaking big, it's amazing that it was able to fit in there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Modifying a vulcan is a great way to increase efficiency and up your gas mileage :D

synthetic oil, increases your over all MPG by 1mpg a gall, or it did for me,

my port polish really freed up alot of airflow in the upper lower intake along with bigger valve stems from a 1992 ranger 4banger, and bored out exhaust :D that gave me another 2 mpgs. i didnt spend very much in total. just a dremel and some other things.

the Cold air intake and a polished Throttle body (bored out) also gave me a good .2mpg :D

so i completely disagree with people that are against modifying their Vulcans. i put 80k on that motor and save a ton with the gas :D

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I'm a huge Essex fan, both NA and SC. In my 1990 T-Bird I went with the splitport swap and it would certainly fly :lol2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have one forsale, 1985 650 holly carb, 11:1 compression 302 4.9679L :D

its in michigan tho :eek:

i traded my taurus for it :D

picss

Attachments

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before I continue, I'll say that it's pretty unlikely that I'd buy it from ya, since we're in two different countries technically, though the drive isn't much. PM me what you were thinking for it.

I am looking for something with a perfect under-body, like it rolled off the line six months ago, how clean is it?

·
Registered
424 Posts
i have one forsale, 1985 650 holly carb, 11:1 compression 302 4.9679L :D
Carb? What the hell is a carb? I'm obviously being facetious, i'm 30 so I know what a carburetor is! BTW love the dual intake tubes:wub:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts