Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question. I've changed trans fluid and filter according to the write-up on this forum every 2 years no problem. When I did it 2 years ago, I must have overtightened 2 of the pan bolts because I stripped them and could not put torque on them. Luckily no leaks and everything has been good. Now that the time is approaching for another flush, I don't know what to do as I don't want to upset the equilibrium and end up with a leak. I was just going to flush all the fluid without dropping the pan or changing the filter. Car shifts beautifully and it has a B&M trans cooler.
Last time I dropped the pan there was basically no metal in it. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
I change fluid every 20 to 25K miles, and only change the filter every second fluid change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles? How long do you plan to keep the car? I've got about 100k miles on original fluid and filter...

I say leave it.
The car has 120,000 miles, the fluid has about 30,000 miles, and I plan on keeping it for several more years. Do you guys see any value in doing a complete flush without dropping the pan and changing the filter?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've had UoA performed on my 4F50N and they recommended 25k mile fluid changes. Like Jeff K I change the filter every 50k. I also had two bolts strip the aluminum casing of my 2000 'tec transmission. I ordered the appropriate metric helicoil kit from McMaster-Carr. The kit contained the required drill, tap, helicoil insertion tool, tang removal tool, instructions, and helicoil assortment. 'bout $50. Made fixing it very easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.