Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im half way trough my last Job to fully complete the SHO. The car is 90% restored by the org owner. I have all the green around the strut towers and rad support cleaned preped and painted (code PA) Ford deep emerald green. Have most of the hardware and whatnot painted flat black and looking good and have the new firewall and rad support cover ordered (I have to MOD the rad support to fit around the supercharger). So the lastr part of the engine bay restoration is to paint the UIM and engine. (At lease what you can see) So in preping the front half I pulled the spark plug boot to tape the plugs up and move the wires out of the way. I thought I may find a little oil in the pug wells just because. This engine only has about 20K miles on it since being replaced. However it does not get driven to much. So check the pix out below. I found the far left and right plugs to be rusted to hell. They look like they were pulled up from the titanic. The center one did have a small amount of oil in th ewell but no rust. The only thing I can think of is the past owner sprayed down the engine and the water judt sits in there rusting away the plug. Im I missing something or have you guys ever seen this before. The car runs great. The top and bottom of the plug look great. I cleaned it out as to not get any inside the hole. You should have seen the amounth of rust gunk that came out. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Tipical Motorcraft plugs. Use anytig else (like Autolite Iridium XP)... Or you might end up like me on another Ford.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've always had better luck with Motorcraft plugs in Fords than other brands.

Granted, I have not replaced plugs in my Taurus yet, but in my previous Ford, it only ran well on Motorcraft plugs. I tried Bosch Platinum +4 plugs in it, Splitfire plugs...all worked great on my other cars, but the Ford mifsired and generally ran like garbage. Put Motorcraft plugs back in...smoooooooooooth and ran great.

Is the Taurus picky like this?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Motorcraft plugs are made by Autolite based on Ford specs. One of them is cheap. Includes the cheap shell plating - therefore the rust and seizing.
Higher end spark plugs from Autolite (like XP104) are better. I had luck with Bosch IR Iridium Fusion plugs (4505) on my Tec.

PS: All the plug companies have online selectors to help choose the right part.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up motorcraft replacement plugs today. The car get next to no miles on it so I'm sure they will be fine. I just wasn't sure if it was a strange thing or not. Clearly you guys have had it happen to you.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh they don't make the same plug anymore. They are a little different now. I'll post a pic later. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sure they don't. After they have so many complains, they "cooked" another spec :D
I am curious if they are nickel plated now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts