Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I put 225 60 r17 rim and tires on my 2002 Ford Taurus factory size for 4 for my Ford is 215 60 r16

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, BUT.

Your speedometer will be out. Your odometer will also be out. Both will still work, but they won't be accurate.

According to this handy little tool I found: Tire Size Converter the best (COMMON) match is 215/55R17.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It will also depend upon the width of the wheel. Make sure you’re not forgetting that you also have width and offset to consider. I put a spreadsheet together A while back. Put in your original specs for both the wheel and tire and then you can add other info to compare. It will work with Microsoft excel, open office, or you can import it to Google sheets.

If you have the 16” factory wheels I believe they are 16“ x 6.5“ wide with a +38 (mm) offset. If you have one of the wheels off the car you can confirm all of that as it is usually stamped inside the wheel or someone else here or one of the other threads might confirm it for you. When you compare tire sizes, if you find some thing that is very close in overall diameter (EDIT: I originally typed width at 2 or 3 AM; It should say diameter), then your speedometer and odometer will still be pretty close. When I purchased tires for mine I believe they were 0.7 inches larger. If my speedometer shows 60 then I am doing between 62 and 63. Plus, it might only be 3 miles out of 100 but I would rather my odometer be under versus over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I guess Wednesday I might go in and edit the spreadsheet to include changes in speedometer and odometer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It will also depend upon the width of the wheel. Make sure you’re not forgetting that you also have width and offset to consider. I put a spreadsheet together A while back. Put in your original specs for both the wheel and tire and then you can add other info to compare. It will work with Microsoft excel, open office, or you can import it to Google sheets.

If you have the 16” factory wheels I believe they are 16“ x 6.5“ wide with a +38 (mm) offset. If you have one of the wheels off the car you can confirm all of that as it is usually stamped inside the wheel or someone else here or one of the other threads might confirm it for you. When you compare tire sizes, if you find some thing that is very close in overall width, then your speedometer and odometer will still be pretty close. When I purchased tires for mine I believe they were 0.7 inches larger. If my speedometer shows 60 then I am doing between 62 and 63. Plus, it might only be 3 miles out of 100 but I would rather my odometer be under versus over.

In your second paragraph, where you're talking about keeping the size close to keep the speedometer as accurate as possible, it's not overall width that matters. It's total diameter. In other words, the total diameter of the new tire and wheel needs to be as close as possible to the total diameter of the old tire and wheel.

·
Registered
288 Posts
In your second paragraph, where you're talking about keeping the size close to keep the speedometer as accurate as possible, it's not overall width that matters. It's total diameter. In other words, the total diameter of the new tire and wheel needs to be as close as possible to the total diameter of the old tire and wheel.
Yup. My bad. Replying at 2 or 3 am will do that to you. There wouldn’t be an overall width. It’s just the width. I should have typed diameter in there.

·
Registered
1998 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 OHV
32 Posts
Tiresize.com is an excellent resource for this, especially in regards to tire diameter comparisons. They also have wheel offsets, etc. I don't get caught up in the tire sales and such, just the conversions. Even tells you what your "new" MPH will be with the new tires! I never ched, but I suspect they convert to Km/H as well!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Tiresize.com is an excellent resource for this, especially in regards to tire diameter comparisons. They also have wheel offsets, etc. I don't get caught up in the tire sales and such, just the conversions. Even tells you what your "new" MPH will be with the new tires! I never ched, but I suspect they convert to Km/H as well!
I liked them too but I wanted to know how far, or how much more the wheel and how much more the tire would be inside and outside. This way I would know if it was going to clear the strut and how much farther it would stick out on the fender side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They do have an offset calculator as well. It's on their home page. Even asks you if you're using wheel spacers, etc. 👍

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yup. My bad. Replying at 2 or 3 am will do that to you. There wouldn’t be an overall width. It’s just the width. I should have typed diameter in there.

You should probably be sound asleep at that time. I'm pretty sure I was......

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can I put 225 60 r17 rim and tires on my 2002 Ford Taurus factory size for 4 for my Ford is 215 60 r16
OK - I updated the sheet I created. It includes:
  • total height of the wheel & tire combo, plus changes in:
  • rim inside the hub
  • tire inside the hub
  • tire outside the hub/fender
  • total circumference
as well as the change in your speedo, positive or negative, at 20, 35, 55, 65, 75, & 90 mph.

The link is on this post: Tire & Wheel Size Comparison Tool Ultimate Edition

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK - I updated the sheet I created. It includes:
  • total height of the wheel & tire combo, plus changes in:
  • rim inside the hub
  • tire inside the hub
  • tire outside the hub/fender
  • total circumference
as well as the change in your speedo, positive or negative, at 20, 35, 55, 65, 75, & 90 mph.

The link is on this post: Tire & Wheel Size Comparison Tool Ultimate Edition
BTW mcsteven, I forgot to mention how good the rolling stock on your wagon looks man!! Absolutely rocks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts