Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an 01 Taurus SEL with almost 140k on it. My plan is to keep driving it for another year or so, therefore, I would not like to throw a ton of money to repair or refreshing parts.

Problem now is, my two front tires have significant less treads than my two rear tires. My mechanic just did a rotation for me and told me that my two rear tires had bad balance so they were worn differently. Previously I did not feel obvious shaking at high speed, but now since the unbalanced rear tires were in the front, my mechanic said the car was shaking obviously above 40mpg and suggested me change these two.

I know it might be a good idea to change 4 at a time, but considering my situation, what might be my best bet?
1. Replace two rear tires (originally in rear) with more treads and leave the more worn front tires in rear?

2. Replace the two originally front tires and put the unbalanced two rear tires back to their original positions (mechanic said when rear tires are unbalanced, you feel less shaking than unbalanced front tires?)

3. Replace two most worn tires and do a mix-and-match distribution with the new+old tires?

And btw, is there any recommendation for tire deals or places I should go to get cheaper bill for tire replacement? The cheapest tire I could see at sears is $95 each, firestone had cheaper ones ($78 a piece) but do not know their service.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
do you have a membership to BJ, Costco, Sames club, ect? they usually have tires cheaper.

I feel that you shouldn't waist time with cheap tires, they are the only points of contact with the road and sticky tires might save your live and your car.

I have had really good experiences with Micheline Pilot Exalto A/S. It was about $600 installed for all 4 tires at Sames club with free life time balance and rotation.

Why are you going to get ride of the Taurus next year?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go to discounttiredirect.com and price a set. The local stores will price match the total shipped cost. You're looking at $400 installed for all 4...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have a membership to BJ, Costco, Sames club, ect? they usually have tires cheaper.

I feel that you shouldn't waist time with cheap tires, they are the only points of contact with the road and sticky tires might save your live and your car.

I have had really good experiences with Micheline Pilot Exalto A/S. It was about $600 installed for all 4 tires at Sames club with free life time balance and rotation.

Why are you going to get ride of the Taurus next year?
Well, the car has served me for 5 years and with its high mileage, I'd like to trade it in when purchasing a new car in the near future. It's even impossible to sell it at a decent price by myself, because of the looks (leather door panel trim covers fell off because of Ford's quality) and the fact that I had a rear-ended accident and some body works. That's why I don't want to throw 500 bux on it while only using it for another year.

I know the tricks about buying 4 tires and such, but my question is if I only have the budget for two, which two should I replace first? Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you're pinching pennies then just go buy a used set from one of those shady looking places. Replace the two worn tires, have them balanced and mounted up front. Bam. Problem fixed for less than $100.

BTW - trading it in is pointless. Even if the dealer tells you they're giving you $1k for it, chances are just that you could have talked them down $1k on the price. Sell it outright and go in with more cash in hand. Never tell them how much you're willing to put down, and never tell them what you're approved for if financing...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
+1 Chingon

the Taurus is more value to you to keep as a backup car then it will be to trade it in.
Rough trade in which yours would be considered is about $1,000 max. If any dealer offers over that and they are padding the new car price.

Do you have a extended family member that will be driving age shortly? Sell the car to them instead of trading it to a dealer. Most states allow you to give a car to a family members with out the receiving party paying taxes, or having to inspect the car. The Taurus will be a safe car especially for a new driver (driver, passenger and side airbags, abs, ect) and work out cheaper then them buying from someone else.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advices, guys. This is the only car for my wife (new driver but soon needs to be on the commute for job reasons) and I. So for job reasons, we'll need two cars real soon. Anyway, since it's with such high mileage and I'm just not sure if it's gonna crap out in the near future that would cost a fortune to repair.

Anyways, if I want to have 4 tires changed for safety issue, where should I go considering the total cost (installation, disposal included)? And which brand is a good compromise between price and quality.

Local ford dealers have a promotion with $100 rebate for 4 tires (Yokohama?, Goodyear, continental and michellin) but I thought they are gonna tack on ridiculous installation fee and stuff without the freebies (lifetime rotation etc).

Got a quote from Sears next door, cheapest tire they recommend is Cooper, 88ish per tire, but after all the stuff it came out as 110ish per tire.

Costco is also recommended a lot, but they have very limited choices for my tire size, only 4 kinds when checking online and the cheapest is 99 Bridgestone I think, so I will again pay more than 120ish per tire with all cost. But seems like they offer free rotation/alignment etc the most.

What are your experiences? Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to report back, paid 160 for 4 used Michellin tires with decent treads left. Got them balanced and fixed the shaking problem.

Now back to the trade-in idea, my concern about selling it privately is that it's been involved in a minor rear-end accident and a fender bender years ago, also the leather door trim cover fell off completely in the rear sides after my two attempts to glue them back temporarily. Now my two rear door panels look like crap. Due to all those reasons, I'm not sure if I can get much more than 1k for this car (01, 140k with accident history and crap door trim). Do you guys still think I should go ahead and sell it by myself?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Where are you located?

I wouldn't sell yourself short because it had an accident and has 140k. Zip over to the junkyard, drop $50 and get a couple of new rear door panels if they really look bad...

I'd think your car may be worth a couple of Gs at least...

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Yea dont sell yourself short! You should be able to pull probibly 2K out of it privately. It's ALWAYS better to sell your cars privately instead of a dealer trade, cause they will give you NOTHING for it. The only reason to trade in a car is, #1) you have an outstanding loan on it, #2) it's a heap of trash and isnt worth anything to begin with, #3) the dealer was going to give you a rediculous amount of money for it on some trade in deal where they give you well over book for it, but that just means they are overpriced on their lot and have leway on their prices.

I'd feel better knowing that my car will go to someone that can use/needs it rather than go to a dealership that's just looking at your car as $$$ they can make off of you. Also this way, you could pocket a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Nut Case

I had an 01 Taurus SEL with almost 140k on it. My plan is to keep driving it for another year or so, therefore, I would not like to throw a ton of money to repair or refreshing parts.

Problem now is, my two front tires have significant less treads than my two rear tires. My mechanic just did a rotation for me and told me that my two rear tires had bad balance so they were worn differently. Previously I did not feel obvious shaking at high speed, but now since the unbalanced rear tires were in the front, my mechanic said the car was shaking obviously above 40mpg and suggested me change these two.

I know it might be a good idea to change 4 at a time, but considering my situation, what might be my best bet?
1. Replace two rear tires (originally in rear) with more treads and leave the more worn front tires in rear?

2. Replace the two originally front tires and put the unbalanced two rear tires back to their original positions (mechanic said when rear tires are unbalanced, you feel less shaking than unbalanced front tires?)

3. Replace two most worn tires and do a mix-and-match distribution with the new+old tires?

And btw, is there any recommendation for tire deals or places I should go to get cheaper bill for tire replacement? The cheapest tire I could see at sears is $95 each, firestone had cheaper ones ($78 a piece) but do not know their service.

Thanks a lot.
As the nut case here, old fart, maybe someone else might do this so I will share.

Tire balance at home.

Fronts only.
Jack up one front, brake on, chock rear wheel.
Start with warm engine, traction control off.
Put in gear and run up to 30 mph.
Record the vibration in the steering wheel.
I just use, Good, Fair, Bad.

If good, move on, if not good do the below.

Put a 1 oz weight at the valve stem, this is 12 O’Clock.
Repeat and grade.
Now at 3 O’Clock
Now at 6
Now at 9.

One or two of the positions will be better, the others worse.
If one is better, then try different weights there for size.
If two are better, then try different weights between them.
Once you find the best weight, try it inside the rim.
If no difference, put two half weights on.
If one side is better, then the weight goes on the best side.
You are done.

Of course you need a floor jack and wheel weights as well as a weight puller.

I maintain 3 cars and do this from time to time.

But then, I am the old coot, and do not recommend this for others unless you are car crazy.:p

-chart-

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, 140,000 miles is nothing these days. A high mileage car today is one with 200,000 or more miles on it.

As Bull Geek said, go to a junk yard and get replacement panels for the rear. They are cheap and easy to do.

I lived in the D.C. area for 33 years. You would have no problem selling that car for a couple of thousand bucks. Minor accidents are nothing. You are worrying too much about it.

Your best bet is to keep the car and use it. If both you and the wife need a car, why get rid of it.
Problem is the stupid MD inspection which would possibly impose a repair bill (couple of hundreds or even more). Car has NC registration until next April. It might not be worth it to throw the money into this car that will possibly crap out here and there due to the age and mileage. I'm not a total car person and do not have space/time to fix all those problem myself. Would love to find a master-chef who's got experience/space for car repair, I'd love to help with the projects and learn by the side though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts