Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>>Has anyone else had to replace tires due to excessive wear from the front wheels? I've had to replace all of the tires listed below early due to excessive wear on the outer edges acquired when mounted on the front wheels. I had a shop tell me some years ago that this engine/suspension design puts excessive strain on the front suspension/steering, leading to excessive wear on the tires. I had the front struts replaced a year ago, with a FEA. Would like to hear any thoughts.

When I acquired my 2004 SES third-hand in 2009, it had new General Altimax tires. They lasted only two years/30K miles, and I replaced them with Hankook Optimos. Those lasted 3 years/40K and were replaced in 2014 with Continental ProContact EcoPlus. I replaced those in 2018 with Douglas All-Seasons from Walmart, after reading that for their $55 price - half the Continentals' - they ran about as well as any other tire.

I have no complaints about the Douglases - they're quiet, give good traction/handling, and are fine in the rain. I'm pretty amazed.

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
>>Has anyone else had to replace tires due to excessive wear from the front wheels? I've had to replace all of the tires listed below early due to excessive wear on the outer edges acquired when mounted on the front wheels. I had a shop tell me some years ago that this engine/suspension design puts excessive strain on the front suspension/steering, leading to excessive wear on the tires. I had the front struts replaced a year ago, with a FEA. Would like to hear any thoughts.

When I acquired my 2004 SES third-hand in 2009, it had new General Altimax tires. They lasted only two years/30K miles, and I replaced them with Hankook Optimos. Those lasted 3 years/40K and were replaced in 2014 with Continental ProContact EcoPlus. I replaced those in 2018 with Douglas All-Seasons from Walmart, after reading that for their $55 price - half the Continentals' - they ran about as well as any other tire.

I have no complaints about the Douglases - they're quiet, give good traction/handling, and are fine in the rain. I'm pretty amazed.

I am on Bulls #7, 8, & 9. All '03 DOHC. Never had any outside wear, always inside wear. My 2 Sables all tires/wheels from the JY as in the pic, $30 per. When looking at the JY have to watch for inside wear, common on worn out front suspension.
Outside wear would be caused by excess toe in. Brand of tire not the issue.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Have you had the car aligned and have the strut tower mounting plates had their spot welds drill out for camber adjustment. How often have you rotated your tires. I drill them out before an alignment and mark location of plate to see if they move them. They charge $25 to $50 to drill them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, thanks I did not know that (about the tower plates). They changed some time after that, my 17 does not have a plate, its all solid frame. I just hope doing 5k tire rotations keeps the wear correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had FEA after latest two tire changes, and rotate the tires every 5-10K; am not savvy enough to know about the spot-weld drilling but thank you! I'll go back over the service papers to see if there were any unusual comments or notes I made in previous years.
Have you had the car aligned and have the strut tower mounting plates had their spot welds drill out for camber adjustment. How often have you rotated your tires. I drill them out before an alignment and mark location of plate to see if they move them. They charge $25 to $50 to drill them out.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Some alignment shops say you can't adjust camber but Ford manual suggests drilling the spot welds out. Look at your alignment papers and see if camber is out of spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts