1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 sel 24v

factory size i have now are 215 60s

i would like to put on 225 60s

is this possible has anyone tried it what were the results any change in speedometer reading?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
It'll cause your speedo to read a little slow, but not anything you'll probably really notice. I wouldnt go 225 on the stock 6" wheel though. The 215's already bulge pretty badly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hehe, those are the same tires I want to put on the Windstar. If you go back to the main page and click on specs, it says the 225/60-16's (I'm guessing you have 16's, as the 225/60 are only offered in that size) will fit a 6-8" wheel. They'd work, but you may have wear (too narrow a wheel makes the tread "rounded" or at least deforms the sidewall, causing excess heat) and clearance (fenders and struts) issues.

America's Tire is offering an additional $50 rebate on those tires, along with the grocery card. Not sure if it's a Goodyear offer, or an America's Tire offer. But I noticed Tire Rack isnt offering it.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by sameboy@Jul 8 2004, 07:16 AM
i was think the 225 with the new Good year assurance tires would give more tire to road contact
The 225 is too wide for your stock rims. Putting these tires on your stock rims would completely defeat the purpose. Also, the side wall will be some what taller.

Try to find a set of tires that are 215/60-16 or get aftermarket rims that are 7" wide. The 7" rims can support the wider 225 tires.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I have 225/50ZR-16 on stock slicers on my 1991 SHO. The tires do bulge out somewhat and would work better on a 7" rim. The speedo is off, but with the shorter tire I do accelerate a little better. My new wheels that I am getting to clear my from calipers are 17X8 and I will mount 245/45ZR-17 tires. The rear fender lip is getting rolled so I will have the clearance for the wider wheels and tires. I also expect the ride to be a little harsher, but also expect turn-in and cornering to improve.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts