Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bit of a search, and it looks like tires that size might fit, but I'd just like to be sure. The posts I found confirming that it fits was mentionning 95 and earlier (G2, right?) cars, so I'm wondering if it'll fit on a 1997 LX.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by Philippe@Sep 18 2004, 06:02 PM
I did a bit of a search, and it looks like tires that size might fit, but I'd just like to be sure. The posts I found confirming that it fits was mentionning 95 and earlier (G2, right?) cars, so I'm wondering if it'll fit on a 1997 LX.

Thanks!
I have 225 55 R 16's on my 96 GL...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, close...

What type of rims/mags are you guys using? I was considering getting a hold of used G3 SHO mags for that OEM look...

·
Registered
423 Posts
The 91 Plus model came with Slicers.

About the tire size, I say it would be too tall of a sidewall which may cause it to rub.
That, the handling will be crappy, and it'll throw your speedo off a bit.

Personally, I would go with 225/50/16's for the stock GenIII SHO wheels. I had that size on my slicers and loved it. :)

G

·
the 225/50R16s aren't a good size on a GEN3. They will throw off the speedo. It's all about the 55 Series!

Ah, so its 91 and up. Got it

Sal

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
I had 225/60/16s on my '97 SHO. It slowed the car down too much. I ended up putting them my '93 SHO which I drove to work.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Sep 19 2004, 07:55 PM
the 225/50R16s aren't a good size on a GEN3. They will throw off the speedo. It's all about the 55 Series!

Ah, so its 91 and up. Got it

Sal
They (225/50-16) do throw off the speedo some, but the car will accelerate quicker because the overall drive ratio has changed. Also all 1991 GenI SHO's came with uni directional slicers. White Slicers came on white SHO+. Non-plus white SHO's came with silver slicers. 1992 SHO's also came with the uni directional slicers and 1993-1995 SHO's came with directional slicers; different wheels for different sides. In the attached picture, the red 1991 SHO is mine and has my new wheels. The 1991 SHO+ in the middle has my old wheels with 225/50ZR-16 Dunlop SP8000. You can tell it is a plus by the black mirrors, body color on the bumper strip and chrome around the windows. The SHO on the left is a 1990 with the white slicers with 215/60HR-16's that were on the SHO+. I also posted a picture of each wheel and tire combo along with the suspension mods here:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9875

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought that on ABS vehicles they used the ABS notches on the CV Axle in order to send info to the speedo? Do the change in tire sizes affect the speed the cv axle spins therefore affecting the speedometer reading?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by mrclean@Sep 20 2004, 06:12 PM
I thought that on ABS vehicles they used the ABS notches on the CV Axle in order to send info to the speedo? Do the change in tire sizes affect the speed the cv axle spins therefore affecting the speedometer reading?
I know on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 MTX SHO, the speedo gear in the transmission feeds the speedometer. The Gen 3 SHO gets the info from the ABS system to the ECU then the speedo. The 1998 SHO's have a bug in which the speedo goes to zero when you go over 110mph.

Bob

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Kelly Springfield? Easily pleased I see.

The cars that use the ABS sensor to determine the speed are not affected by changing the tire. I was also admonished on another list for suggesting that changing tire diameter on a Gen 1-2 SHO would change the speedo too. I was not convinced of this but have been wrong before.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Sep 21 2004, 01:06 AM
Kelly Springfield?  Easily pleased I see.
well actually i told the hubbie to get ContiExtremes, but Belle Tire was out of them. so they gave me the $120 a piece Kelly Chargers for the same price as the ContiExtremes ($80 a piece). he couldn't pass it up.. i was very upset when he came home with these tires, cause i knew nothing about Kelly tires. but after researching and driving with these tires, they are awesome. so easily pleased? No. i'm not easily pleased. its very hard to please me. but i am very pleased with these tires. and i'll always get them for now on.

Charger® Directional ZR
ULTRA HIGH-PERFORMANCE RADIAL
Ultra high-performance design
Unique rubber compounds and directional tread provide suberb wet and dry traction for optimum handling and cornering power
Directional tread and wide, deep grooves sweep water away from centerline
M+S rated for all-season traction
High ply turn-up construction gives excellent steering response
Radial ply polyester cord construction for smooth ride
Two steel belts with cap plies for strength, durability and true performance handling
Distinctive "mirror image" sidewall styling allows one SKU per size

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Nothing personal but Kelly is Goodyear's bargain brand and I wouln't use any Goodyear tire.

Probably the first and best mod anyone can do is get some good tires. Forget anything with a tread wear rating of over 300 and enjoy your ride.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Sep 21 2004, 12:06 AM
Kelly Springfield? Easily pleased I see.

The cars that use the ABS sensor to determine the speed are not affected by changing the tire. I was also admonished on another list for suggesting that changing tire diameter on a Gen 1-2 SHO would change the speedo too. I was not convinced of this but have been wrong before.
On my 1991 SHO I have had 225/60ZR-16, 225/55ZR-16 and 225/50ZR-16 mounted on same stock slicers over the years. The speedometer was the most accurate with the 225/60ZR-16. The speedo was right on the money checked with mile markers and a stop watch. As each tire became smaller in diameter the speedometer error increased.

Bob

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
I had 225/60 and 225/50s on my '93. The speedo was 2-3 mph fast with the 50s and 2-3 mph slow with the 60s. I quit arguing on the other forum after I was told repeatedly that the tire size had no factor in the speedo on GEN 1-2 SHOs. I guess they never tried different tire sizes......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts