Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What direction do you rotate the tires on a 2002 Taurus SES? Do you rotate straight front to back or do you rotate front to back diagonally?

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
I was taught years ago one rotates bias-ply tires diagonally and front-to-back, including the spare in the rotation if one exists. Radials are swapped front-to-back only.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
When I do mine, front tires get swapped to opposite sides on back and rears go straight up.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Radial Tires are rotated front to back and back to front same side ONLY.
Taking a radial from the right side and installing it on the left side can cause the belts to fail. This will greatly reduce the life of your tires and possibly result in a catastrophic tire failure.

The old bias-ply tires were rotated in a crisscross fashion and included the same sized spare in the rotation. I doubt you would even be able to find a bias-ply tire for a Taurus, that is assuming you would even want to.

·
Registered
672 Posts

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Bias-ply tires are referred to as diagonal ply.
Some tire makers say cross rotate, others don't.
They are referred to as bias-ply tires, and have been since the 1960s if not earlier. That's what all the tire dealers, car dealers and car magazines called them.

I never heard anyone mention diagonal-ply until you, just now. I remember Firestone and Goodyear and Uniroyal and others advertising bias-ply tires when I was looking for replacement tires for my Corvair back in 1973.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Radial Tires are rotated front to back and back to front same side ONLY.
Taking a radial from the right side and installing it on the left side can cause the belts to fail. This will greatly reduce the life of your tires and possibly result in a catastrophic tire failure.

The old bias-ply tires were rotated in a crisscross fashion and included the same sized spare in the rotation. I doubt you would even be able to find a bias-ply tire for a Taurus, that is assuming you would even want to.
"for a Taurus" so take a look at the TAURUS owners manual :D. I doubt Ford would publish instructions that are knowingly unsafe. Now selling something unsafe, may be a little different (yes I am talking about you Ford Pinto).

I always did front to back with radials as well but then I READ THE OWNERS MANUAL and went back to doing it the way it was always done before

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Straight Rotation was developed in the early years of radial tires. This rotation method simply replaces the front to rear and rear to front and is used for directional tread patterns. *Is not necessary anymore with modern tires.
The "Modified Cross Pattern" provides the best results and can be performed on any Front or Rear Wheel Drive vehicle equipped with 4 non-directional tires. (directional tires must be rotated front to rear only.)
http://www.tiresafety.com/maint/maint_content.asp

·
Registered
22,489 Posts
I think you're fine using the criss-cross (diagonal) method if you religiously rotate ea. 5000-7500 mi., but if you're like me, and rotate when you happen to think about it or notice wear, I would definitely recommend the front to back rotation only. Btdt, lol!!! Probably a good habit to get into, is to rotate tires at oil changes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll always rotate front to rear, rear to front in a diagonal pattern.

Wish I could rotate the tires on my Marauder but from factory it comes with a larger rear tire and I run directional dedicated summer & winter tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.