Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 Sable with 78K on it. I have a constet growling/huming noise. The noise doesn't change when going over bumps. It does go away when I turn the wheel slight left. By slight, I mean like how much you would turn the wheel to change lanes. Turning to the right does not effect the noise. I recently changed tie rods and thought the noise was b/c i didnt get the toe close enough. I had the car aligned and the noise is still there. The car drives straight. Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds like the front wheel bearing/hubs may need replacing. First, however, ensure that weird tire wear is not a contributing factor. Remove the front left tire, mount it on the rear, and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (fiveo302stang @ May 15 2009, 11:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725484
I have a '96 Sable with 78K on it. I have a constet growling/huming noise. The noise doesn't change when going over bumps. It does go away when I turn the wheel slight left. By slight, I mean like how much you would turn the wheel to change lanes. Turning to the right does not effect the noise. I recently changed tie rods and thought the noise was b/c i didnt get the toe close enough. I had the car aligned and the noise is still there. The car drives straight. Thanks[/b]
jack up the front and secure with jack stands and block back wheels put the car in gear get a bar on one wheel (get friend to do this).. this will make one wheel spin put in drive and bring up speed if (repeat for other wheel) you should still hear noise from the bearing if its gone.. also check for play in wheel

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys thats what I figured.

The first thing I did was rotate the tires around, twice acutally. The noise was still there. I also checked to see if the tires had any weird wear or anything.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
QUOTE (topgunovrtx @ May 16 2009, 08:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725536
Sounds like the front wheel bearing/hubs may need replacing.[/b]
You have one failing. If you plan to keep car for a bit I suggest changing both as the other side will fail soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts