Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I do it?

I went to the junkyard to pic up the SHO slicers, but I don't want the tire, and of course they'll charge me for them. 2 of them are shot and the other 2 are OK, but someone cut the valve stems, so they'll have to come off anyways. Plus I don't think they'll fit in the car with the tires, not to mention making a mess. So how do I get the tires off the rims by hand? I've got a prybar, hammer, mallet, and a tire iron as mechanical implements at hand, and can probably get others. Obviously I don't want to chew up the rims either. Plus I'd have to pay the disposal fee for the tires if I took them. That's another
for me. Thanks guys.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Cordless Sawzaw?
What they don't know won't hurt

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWW!!! Of course, and my dad has an 18V Ryobi system I can hijack. HeHe

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Get them removed at the junkyard. Most "U-Pull-it" yards have a station near the big pile of alloy wheels where you can demount the tires. If they don't, there are a variety of ways to remove the tires. First choice would be to use a bead breaker, which you obviously don't have. One way that worked for me was to use a 6' long 4x4 post, a small hydraulic jack, and one of the beams that supports the second floor of the garage. I put the 4x4 on the tire, next to the edge of the rim, and then put the jack on top, and against the ceiling beam. Then I used the jack to basically drive the weight of the entire second floor onto the tire. Worked every time.

J

·
0 Posts
Just take that good knife, you know the one you would use for tire slashing, and chop the tires and peel them off the rims.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Why don't you just destroy the rubber and get someplace like Discount Tire to remove them completely later? Why would a junk yard make you pay for bad tires?

·
Registered
79 Posts
good luck getting them off by hand. It's hard sometimes even w/ the right machines. But you do need to break the bead first (the part that touches the rim) then with 2 ppl you can pry the wheel off using 2 crowbars the longer the better. and just do one side of the tire at a time, you'll never get both.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check to see about them taking the tires off. Didn't think about that. Hopefully there isn't a fee.

-mobiuslogic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts