Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear brakes spring broke during a cross country trip while the car was loaded. So I had the work done at a friends shop. I noticed that the tires I had on the rear were marked inside, so the question is should I have the tires turned around and remounted or just leave them? I have 7,000 miles on them since I bought the car and have no idea of how many miles are on the tires themselves.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm not sure I understand if one of your rear suspension springs broke or if a spring inside your brakes broke? And also what do you mean by the tires were marked on the inside? Sorry, all I can envision is that a rear spring broke and carved a groove on the sidewall of the tire and you are still driving on it :eek: Anything less than that isn't too big a deal :D

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
The way I read it is what commonly happens when the springs break. The broken edge of the spring wore a grove in the sidewall of the tire. If that is the case, I would REPLACE the tire ASAP. No matter how mild this damage may seem, it is a safety issue and I dont think I would trust that tire again. You are just lucky that it didnt cut and dig into the side of the tire, another common occurance when the springs break.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's how I read it too and I hope that's not what he meant.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear drum brake return spring broke, scored the drum badly, drums and pads and brake kit are newly installed. End of that story. Tires on the rear were marked inside and as I have since found out the tires are directional. As I understand directional the treads are meant to carry rainwater away from the tires in only one direction. I had them remounted and balanced. Sorry for the confusing question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts