Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to set the front ones 33 and rear ones 32. Is it going to create an issue? Now, both rear and front have 32. I like to have crisp handling and ultra responsive steering.
Any idea? What you guys set for that?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by FullDuplex@Jan 19 2004, 01:42 PM
I want to set the front ones 33 and rear ones 32. Is it going to create an issue? Now, both rear and front have 32. I like to have crisp handling and ultra responsive steering.
Jeez one pound shouldn't make a difference. Most tire gauges arent even accurate to one pound.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by Kermitec@Jan 19 2004, 03:52 PM
[Jeez one pound shouldn't make a difference. Most tire gauges arent even accurate to one pound.
Kermitec is right, I have sold instrumentation for over twenty years. The kind of gauge you buy in the automotive store is generally a 5% accuracy. That means if it is a 60 lb full scale gauge it should read plus or minus 3lbs. In all honesty you can go through a stack of them to find a handful that actually meet that spec.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
The colder it is, the higher you want the air pressure. The hotter, the less since air expands in heat.

It's hard to find a good cheap air gauge. If you want an accurate gauge, you need to pay for it. There is an electric gauge made by Car & Driver that is pretty good and it's about $15.

+ or - 1 to 2 pounds is sufficiant depending on the tempurature if you have Continentals (32psi). You don't want to over inflat or under inflat. So 33 in the front and 32 in the back won't make any difference in performance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Accugage, paid for $15, it's been very good and to me feels like accurate when I drive the car.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27@Jan 19 2004, 05:55 PM
The colder it is, the higher you want the air pressure. The hotter, the less since air expands in heat.
You want the same pressure regardless of ambient temp.

If you correctly set the pressure in the summer, you will need to add air to the tire in the winter. Note that you are not adding pressure, you are adding air. The act of adding the air increases pressure.

I keep the tires of my SHO at 35PSI year round. I remove air in the summer and add air in the winter to accomplish this.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by Markus+Jan 19 2004, 05:59 PM-->QUOTE (Markus @ Jan 19 2004, 05:59 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-mykej27
@Jan 19 2004, 05:55 PM
You want the same pressure regardless of ambient temp.

If you correctly set the pressure in the summer, you will need to add air to the tire in the winter. Note that you are not adding pressure, you are adding air. The act of adding the air increases pressure.

I keep the tires of my SHO at 35PSI year round. I remove air in the summer and add air in the winter to accomplish this.

Mark
95 SHO [/b]
Temp fluctuations of 30 to 40 degrees are the norm here in Boulder/Longmont Colorado. A few days back it was 60 during the day and 20 at night. Lately it averages 40 to 50 during the day and in the low twenties/hight teens at night. Once the sun goes down it ges cold. I was thinking about this the other day because every 10 degree drop in temp equals one less PSI in the tire. So unless I find an optimum tire pressure I really should be inflating and deflating my tires every day.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
what abt the 99c pen type pressure guage at walmart...

there was like a 5 psi difference between this one & a guauge at a gas station, I went with the walmart one..

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
what should my psi be for 16in tires? cause the car feels really weird since the hubbie suppossly put air in the tires after me tellin him a million times. i didn't believe him that he put air in, but when i went to check, all the valve stem caps where loose, not tightened at all, so i knew he did put air in it then. i checked the psi and it was only at 30psi!! is that way too low?!?! i think it is cause my cars handling is real crappy right now. so i'm just wondering what it should be at for the winter and summer.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 20 2004, 10:42 AM
what should my psi be for 16in tires? cause the car feels really weird since the hubbie suppossly put air in the tires after me tellin him a million times. i didn't believe him that he put air in, but when i went to check, all the valve stem caps where loose, not tightened at all, so i knew he did put air in it then. i checked the psi and it was only at 30psi!! is that way too low?!?! i think it is cause my cars handling is real crappy right now. so i'm just wondering what it should be at for the winter and summer.
It really depends on the brand of tire. S rated I believe are 35psi. Continentals are 32psi. Since it's cold, you need to add air to your tires.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by mykej27+Jan 20 2004, 01:55 PM-->QUOTE (mykej27 @ Jan 20 2004, 01:55 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver
@Jan 20 2004, 10:42 AM
It really depends on the brand of tire. S rated I believe are 35psi. Continentals are 32psi. Since it's cold, you need to add air to your tires. [/b]
Not really.

The pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer is the pressure to aim for. It is not dependent upon the MAX rating of a tire. You should of course not buy a tire with a MAX pressure rating of less than that specified by the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer specifies 35PSI, and the MAX pressure the tire can withstand is 50PSI, you should still inflate your tires to 35PSI.

To determine the optimum pressure simply start with the manufacturer supplied pressure rating, and work up and down from there until you are happy. And again, do not exceed the max pressure of the tire.

Mark
95 SHO

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by FullDuplex@Jan 19 2004, 04:42 PM
I always inflate mine to about 10 percent less than the recommended pressure. So if my tires say 44 psi, 10 percent is 4.4, so about 4 or 5 lbs less is what I do.

Works for me.

-Damon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts