Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, when stopping at a store, I accidentally hit the curb with my passenger side front tire. The wheel actually climbed up the curb, but then slipped down and the car continued moving about a foot. When it slipped down, the tire's side wall and the rim scratched against the curb. The rim has only a barely visible scratch on the edge, not a big deal. However, the tire shed some rubber. There is a small hole, about 1/3 inch deep and 1/2 inch wide. Should I be worried about it? Should it be more likely to rupture or lose air? I have been checking tire pressure but it hasn't changed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Last week, when stopping at a store, I accidentally hit the curb with my passenger side front tire. The wheel actually climbed up the curb, but then slipped down and the car continued moving about a foot. When it slipped down, the tire's side wall and the rim scratched against the curb. The rim has only a barely visible scratch on the edge, not a big deal. However, the tire shed some rubber. There is a small hole, about 1/3 inch deep and 1/2 inch wide. Should I be worried about it? Should it be more likely to rupture or lose air? I have been checking tire pressure but it hasn't changed.
I'd definitely get that checked out. Unfortunately holes on the sidewall cannot be repaired usually.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
I'd take it to at least 2 tire dealers and get their opinions on it.
And as was mentioned, sidewalls cannot be repaired as they flex too much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is this 'hole' a crater or an abrasion that has a flap over it?
If it is more like a slice, and you can't see any bare cords, it is likely to be OK for awhile, but I would move it to the rear, if you decide to keep running it.

I had a tire come of the rim after it went flat with a bad valve stem. I was trying to drive it real s-l-o-w the last eighth of a mile home, from where it went flat, and it was on gravel. (late at night and I was bushed). I gave up after the tire came off the rim.
After I got it aired back up with a new valve stem, there was a couple fine slices in the outer sidewall. They looked kind of sketchy, but I drove it cautiously for a week, then stopped worrying about it. That tire is still on my car five years and 30K plus miles later. It's a Michelin. It was probably less than six months old when I bought that car in early 2005.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts