Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am in need of new tires for my 2000 taurus se and was wondering what kind of tires most people have had good experience with. i have done some research and i have narrowed it down to...

Michelin HydroEdge with GreenX- T rated

Yokahama AVID ENVigor- V rated

Cooper CS4 Touring- T or V rated

but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i am also staying with the stock size 215/60/16

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just to read reviews go to http://tirerack.com or http://1010tires.com

What kind of tires are you looking for? Regular touring or performance oriented? Tire Rack is offering Continental (it's a German company that supplies BMW) ContiExtremeContact that is Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tires for $376 for a set of 4. And this tires are rated 8 on a 10 point scale.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i end out with the kumho solus i had discount tire talk me out of the falken ziex saying the kumo were a better tire of couse mine is a 1997 with 215-60r15's not a 16 inch tire. what i go buy is tread wear warranty must be about 50,000 mile warranty. and i think it the utqg rating mine are a 360a were some are 500 a. the bigger the number the harder the tire and less comfortable the ride. the less means softer but has a lower tread life. just some tips always talk to the guys that sells the tire go in there knowing some thing. you may lean some thing in the end why he suggests what he suggests. but always go armed with knowlege and come out with best info posible. in other words don't go in there looking to get ripped off. if you go to discount like i do some times. if looking at rims too check out wheelsnext.com and wheelfire.com and tire rack etc....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im using Continental Contiprocontact tires in the stock size. I love them there are quiet and last long and have had no problem with them in the rain.

Continental ContiProContact

i agree i have had them since i bought the car in 08 and they are nice and quiet and perform well....my friend has dunlops on his and they are loud as hell

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would avoid the Michelin HydroEdge as it is a unidirectional tire and inhibits left-right tire rotations. I use instead Michelin Harmony's. They replaced the dismal Continental TouringContact AS's that the car came equipped with. Interestingly, two of the four Harmony's required no wheel balance weights.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have 225/45 Pirelli P Zero Neros on my 17 inch wheels. The ride is hard and abusive but on the street it feels like your eyeballs will pop out of your head before the tires break loose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Pirelli - Perform like Toscanini...wear like Mozzarella."Direct quote from the head of Pirelli USA to me.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
So far I am loving my Goodyear MaxFuel tires. They are quite, comfortable, the grip is excellent, and the fuel economy does seem somewhat improved.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I purchased Yokohama for my last set at about 60,000 miles. This set has worn very good and handles great. Got them at Discount Tire. I purchased one size larger 225

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm needing new tires soon myself, as my Michelin Energy MXV4's are near the wear bands. I won't get Michelins again, as these are the 3'rd set I've had that devoloped cracks on the sidewalls, as well as being over-priced tires. I'm interested in the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. My local Ford dealer (Maxwell Ford) has a special this month, buy 4 new tires, get a free 4 wheel alinement. I priced my size (215/60R/16) at discount tire at $120 per tire, but Maxwell Ford has them for $114 per tire, and they also have free lifetime balance and rotate. So before the end of the month (once my new springs settle), I'm getting them at Ford, since it's a better deal, and since I just replaced all 4 struts and springs I need a alinement anyway. You should check prices, once you pick out a tire, as many dealers will also match/beat prices at the tire chains. Discount Tire also messed up my center caps, fyi, so I suggest taking them off before getting tires put on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anyone else have problems with Toyo Tires ??

I have Yokohama Avid TRZs on my 2005 Sable, 1997 Sable and 2007 Buick Terazza. They are great tires!

Just put 4 new Yokohama Avid Touring S tires on my Sable Wagon. According to Consumer Reports, this tire was rated VERY GOOD for Low Rolling Resistance, among other things. I will report back later as I put more miles on these tires. So far, the ride is smooth. Can not test handling very well with the snow and ice on the roads this time of year in Michigan.

Got rid of the vibration I was getting with the Toyo Extensa A/S tires that only had 20k miles on them. The Toyo's were bought news and were great up till the last month or so. I had the tires balanced, rotated every 3-5K miles. The last month the tires would be balanced and would produce vibration after 10 days. After this occurred 3 times in a row, the tire dealer inspected the tires and found no belts shifted or out or round condition. No funny wear patterns were found on any of the tires. I had bought several sets of tires in the past for different vehicles from this dealer, so he gave me credit toward the Yokohamas.

Previous to the Toyo tires were the factory Continentals' that had 40k miles on the tires and plenty of thread left, when I took them off the car. The Tires did not have handle very well on wet or snow covered roads.

Paul

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not so happy with my all weather Nokian WRG2. Since tire has Extra Load rating, the ride is quite stiff and I do keep pressure as per door jamb recommendation at 30PSI. On the other hand it might be also caused by aftermarket springs and shocks installed by previous owner. And grip on thin ice sucks also. I was spinning the wheels trying to back up my car into garage on very minor incline (from stop) and it's with only 5,000km on tires!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts