Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these Yok. Avids 2 years back and put 22K on them. During last winter, it developed ozone craks. All 4 of them have these cracks. They don't look deep may be 1/10 of inch but they look long up to an inch.
I am not sure this creates a safety issue. Have you guys experienced such problem before?
Appearantly, it is for brand specific problem. The goodyears in wife's car don't have these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I have the same tires and have 10-15k on them and havent seen anything like that. I ould say maybe a brake has been dragging or u have a bearing getting really hot....but its all four wheels. Do you use and products for cleanign your wheels? Some products can dry and rot out your tires. Another thing I would question is how much air do you put in them, do ou travel on them far distances, and hav3e you had to slam on your brakes often? I cant really think of anything else. I personally love these tires. Mine have an 80,000 miles warrenty, I'm assuming yours do as well, I'd e-mail Yokahama, descrive yoru problems and enclose the picture with your e-mail, It might get you free replacements...Talk to Detroit Raver as well, I beleive she has these tires. It seems weird that all 4 would do that. Where did you purchase them and have them mounted?

For me it was www.tires.com and Kost did moutning...

Dont know if any of that will help you or not, but Yokahama should give you at least a discount on a new set of tires, I've never had a problem with them. Only tires had do that were BF's that sat on my RX-7 in the sun for 5 years....And I'd be a little weary on driving with them, you dont no how far those cracks go....

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would take a few pictures that are a bit more clear. Also note the mileage of the car and tires. Keep this documented. That is a safety hazard and I myswlf would not drive on them. One good bump, or puncture that normally would not hurt a "good" tire, just might be enough to cause a major problem for you. A blow out at 65mph is not fun from what I hear.

Contact the company you purchased them from and contact yokohoma. If anyone has any sense, they will resolve this issue. Use the pictures and information on your diriving habbits to assist in a resolution.

Be carefull driving.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was taking train to go to work. Up untill August, I was walking to train station and the car was staying in the parking lot near by the tracks for all week. I read an article that high voltage wires cause these type of ozone cracks if the car is not driven regularly. Some sort of chemical released to compound then tire gets hot and this protects the tire from these effects...

I am a regular driver and my brakes don't have any issue. In fact they are in tip top condition. I got them from Mr. Tire and they were mounted by them too. Never have any issue with pulling or vibration. When I got them they were 9 months old (DOT Stamp).

So far I looked at several tire manufacturers web site. yokohoma is the only one talks about Ozone Crack concept.

At this point I am not sure I should go to Yokohoma to get these replaced by the identical model. I no longer trust this particular model. They need to prorate the tire and don't know how much credit I'll get.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
One other thing before you go about this, I'd ask if anyone else in the parking lot had this problem, if they did, maybe you could seek compensation through whoever runs the parking lot for not warning about this issue? Just a thought...I only paid $55 per tire with mine and I probably wouldnt go that route....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wanted to give some feed back on this.

I took my bull to NTB. The guy over the counter looked at my tires and decided that those cracks were cosmetic issue (speak to my [email protected]#). I read on his face that he was trying to get rid of me.
So I took it to Sears, service advisor looked at it and suggested me to replace all of them. He also looked at thread depth, it came %60.
Sears denied to accept any warranty work for Yokohama along with some other places.
Yokohama is in no help either. Bunch of clowns are answering the phone and providing what the we site says...basically nothing. I believe, mines are defective, rubber compound dried badly that traction suffers too.

Well I said "heck with this brand..." Each tire is $50 some, %60 gives me #around $30.

I got into Tire Rack and ordered 4 Kumho Ecsta HP4 716. I had them for wife's car and seems like they have nice biting power. Anyways, ratings are very good and snow and wet trackion are higher than Yokohama Avids. I'll se how they are going to be moving on my bull.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I've seen tires do that also. They were stored in the sun for a while or were driven underinflated. I guess some tire shine stuff can dry out the oils alos but I don't have any experience. I guess Yoko can just say you didn't take care of them and get a way with it. That blows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Yoki Avids on my Crown Vic they are about two years old. They probably have about 20,000 miles on them and they have similiar though not quite as bad cracking. The car has been driven mostly on highway or near highway speeds for most of those miles. I keep the inflation correct (according to Ford's specs), never use tire dressing of any kind and don't park near high voltage sources ;-). I too was suprised by the amount of cracking. The Dunlops on my Stang are just has old although far less mileage on them and they are perfect.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
You know this has all the earmarks of a class action lawsuit. Defective product, lots of screwed customers, no help or denial from manufacturer. I recently got 75 bucks for a defect in a tv I bought a couple of years back. I didn't start the lawsuit I got invited to do so in the mail. The people who make the bucks in class actions are the lawyers and the first one or two people who start it. hint , hint

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a set of firestone FR440's on mine and they've been on there for a good 6-7 years. ( I split time between drving that and my other car.) I have similar problems but not as bad as the tires depicted on your photo. I would suggest getting new tires just for peace of mind. I'm probably heading to the tire shop soon to get a new set before my luck runs out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is clear that this is defect, and as usuall manufacturer is in denial. When you call Yokohama they direct you to dealer which they are very useless. Majority of them are moron or liar.
The other thing I face is I bought them when I was living in MD, now I am in PA. I don't want to drive down to MD to hear "oh, Sir, these cracks are normal and shouldn't be a safety concern" bs.
The dealers in PA area are not giving any attention either. I am done with Yokohama.
My new tires are coming today and will get them installed in Costco.

·
Registered
222 Posts
some wheel and tire cleaners are exstreamly corrosive and must be rinsed off thoroughly after a couple minute? Is it possible that one of these type cleaners got used as if it was a one step no rinse cleaner?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I don't really mess with those type of cleaners. In fact I don't use tire cleaners. Whatever I use for body, I use it for tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts