Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I was wanting to buy tires so there is one company in my little winter town (big O) so I looked on the net and found what I wanted as far as a tire goes. Tires are $122 per. I look up the same tire on Tire Rack $84 per. $34 difference per tire, so I call bigO and ask what the best is they can do because if I can do it local I will. Guy says $112 per plus installation, balancing tax, disposal fee and do I want new valve stems? Sure I do, how much? $34 per for balancing and installation, $4 per for disposal and $6 per for valve stems. So now without tax I have $176 in extra fees. WTF? If I drove in with 4 flat tires I might think that what they were telling me was ok but as a phone inquiry and they don't even try to be competitive and keep business local?
Just a rant.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Tire shops around here dont even try to match prices either. First you have to have a written estimate for them to price match, or a published add. Without those, no deal. I even brought up a tire rack price to a local store and they wouldnt match that since it was an internet deal. The best part of that, I could have bought the tire rack tires and had them shipped to that dealer. Though the tire rack tire price was cheaper, when you added shipping, they were the same price (within a couple dollars per tire, less than $5 per tire). I ended up buying Goodyear Eagle GT's for $105 per tire, but with all the additional junk, they were just under $550.00 for the 4 tires.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would try to find the nearest tirerack.com installer, and buy from them. It's still worth it, even if you have to go 30-some odd miles out of your way to get them put on. I bought struts from them, and was happy with the process, shipping was faster than expected. Big O charges way more than most for the installation of tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought 4 Hankook H727s and 4 chrome valve stems (Discount Tire Direct) for the wife's Grand Marquis - total shipped price was $444.00. Went to the little service station up the street and had them mounted and balanced for $48.00. The price reflect a $50 rebate for signing up for their in-house credit card.

The lowest price I was quoted for the same tire at the local shops was $628. I will continue this practice in th future if I can save that kind of money. $60 difference - I might go with the local shop, but not $180.

·
Banned
323 Posts
My '07 Edge came with Hankooks. I didn't like them at all. They had to be replaced at 40,000 miles and that was pushing it. I replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds. Warranted for 80,000 miles. Well worth the money. The Edge now has 80,000 miles on it, and the tires look and perform like they are brand new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"My '07 Edge came with Hankooks. I didn't like them at all."

So far, so good, but time will tell. Consumer Reports rated the 727s 2nd only to the Michelin, and at $30/tire cheaper I decided to try them out. They are *supposed* to be 80k tires, but I will be very happy if my wife gets 60k.

I have Yoko Avid TRZs on the 00 Bull with ~25k and so far I have been very happy. They seem to be wearing well, do great in the rain, and the few times we hit snow when home for Christmas they did 'ok.' When it comes time to replace them I will evaluate the Hankooks and the Yoko and then look at other tires, if needed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have you tried the local Ford dealer? Seriously. Dealers have gotten VERY competitive with tire pricing in recent years, sometimes much lower than the tire store and discount store (Sears, Walmart) chains.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the tires shiipped to my local garage $28 for installation, new valves. disposal fee and balancing. I tried to give some business to the local economy. I have had Yoko's on many rides and have been very happy with them. I never incur snow and hardly any rain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts