Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any chip out there that can control the gear the transmission is in ? I know that the transmission in my gen 4 is computer controlled. I know if there is such a chip I would have the problem of where the shift buttons would go. I was thinking that the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel would do.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, a chip can control what gear the tranny is in, with access to certain parameters. However, this is done via a software switch, so unless you can make real time changes, you're SOL.

Now what you COULD do is have a 4-position chip with 4 custom programs,. Then you could have the same exact program on each position, except that each program is "locked into" a particular gear. Theoretically, you could then turn the knob and have the car "switch" to that gear, on the fly. I have never tried this, although I have used the software switch before to lock automatic cars in 3rd gear on the dyno.

It should work, but it would be uncomofortable to "shift" by turning a knob, but I don't think any good can come of this. In addition, at that point it might just be better to shift manually with the lever. I think we spoke about this before, and it seemed to me you wanted to make some sort of "tip-tronic" system. With a chip, in a setup like this, that just won't work.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
well you couyld set up a relay system to keep actavating different switches every time you slide a lever left or right..... now how would the shift quality be?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Say I had an '04 'tec and wanted to put in my own manual tranny. On the off chance that I was able to find one that fit perfectly or had only a few mods to get it on there, would the chip need to be modified as well? At first I only thought that I would need a new chip if I replaced the engine, but you just reminded me that the automatic tranny is also controlled via computer. Do both controls reside in the same chip?

Honestly, this is something I really want to do. I'm sure I'll get the "waste of money/time/whatever" comments, but I know what I want. AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE! GI JOE! :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
You would need eitehr a new EEC OR we can flashyour PCM to MAKE IT be a manual EEC. We would shut off all auto tranny codes, functions, and retard during shifts.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Jun 18 2004, 06:44 AM
Say I had an '04 'tec and wanted to put in my own manual tranny. On the off chance that I was able to find one that fit perfectly or had only a few mods to get it on there, would the chip need to be modified as well? At first I only thought that I would need a new chip if I replaced the engine, but you just reminded me that the automatic tranny is also controlled via computer. Do both controls reside in the same chip?

Honestly, this is something I really want to do. I'm sure I'll get the "waste of money/time/whatever" comments, but I know what I want. AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE! GI JOE! :D
you could get it to run without any modification. The main issue is the tranny codes that will pop up. (vss, tss, tonrque converter, etc.)

Brad

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Oh believe me, manual conversion threads have come up many times on this board. So far I think there's only one person who actually did it, and then he had some problems with some parts and I think he scrapped the project. Even then, I think it was on an Gen 2, not a Gen 3 or 4.

The theory is use a five speed from a duratec equiped cougar or contour then disable the tranny controls like Alberto said. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it all come together.

-Dan

·
Registered
437 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO+Jun 18 2004, 08:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baby SHO @ Jun 18 2004, 08:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j0rd4n@Jun 18 2004, 06:44 AM

you could get it to run without any modification. The main issue is the tranny codes that will pop up. (vss, tss, tonrque converter, etc.)

Brad [/b][/quote]
None, if I make changes to the EEC to MAKE the EEC be a manual one and shut off all the auto stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Well, if I end up getting this 'tec I'm looking at, this will definately be a gen4 auto-to-manual conversion project, as well as a ton of other things. I'll know soon if 1. the guy's partner will lower his price to what the guy said it would be and 2. if the bank approves my loan if I like his price ;D

This will be my third car, and my first real project car. And, of course, it will be my third Taurus. Long live the bull. ;-)

'96 GL - deceased
'01 SE - runnin strong
'04 SES 'tec - my future baby? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts