Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if putting graphite in the keyhole will keep it from actually freezing the lock?

and what other tips do you have?

:tcca_small:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Keep the car running 24/7. That should do the trick. :thumb:

I actually don't know of any "tricks" to unfreeze the car. If I go outside to my car and the door is frozen I simply yell and swear about winter until I finally break the ice and open the door.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Graphite will help, as will silicone sprayed into the door lock cylinder.

I keep a small lock de-icer spray thing in the kitchen drawer just in case. I also keep a can of windshield de-icer under the kitchen sink, in case the doors get frozen.

I silicone the door gaskets every fall to prevent (or try to prevent) the doors from freezing to them.

If these things don't work, I simply call in and make everyone else do the work. I love being the boss. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude that is awesome i wish i could do that, but i have to go to school. Im still in high school, so the law says i have to. I wish i could call in. Today was senior skip day everyone. It was not a offical one its just one that we all came up with since we did not have a snow day this week.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Spray some fluid film in your locks and hinges. I've also used a product called "Rust Cure", which also repels water and works at preventing locks from freezing. I've sprayed my locks a couple weeks ago with fluid film and then just washed the car last night at work. Came out this morning and the locks still turned.

Also for the door rubbers, there is a product that A/C Delco makes that I used. It keeps the door rubbers lubed and conditioned. I applied it a while back now (late fall I believe), and the doors haven't froze shut yet. It comes in a small container. The lid has a little cotton ball on the end of it. Something else that works pretty good is "Dubbing", the same stuff you use to water protect your shoes or boots. Just rub on a coat and it helps greatly in keeping the doors opening.

And if you have a heated garage, then use it..... :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
I spray some silicone lube on a rag and wipe all the rubber moulding around the doors. Helps prevent it from freezing shut and keeps from ripping the rubber up.

One big problem I hated with winter was the windows freezing shut and I'm in the drive-thru to order a Tim Hortons coffee. Electric window motors are NOT strong enough to open a frozen window.

I solve it by applying the same silicone lube to the window rubbers the glass goes up against when you raise the window.

Do this once a week and throw a shot into the locks while you're at it and you'll never have a problem with stucks doors, locks or windows.

The de-icer spray is good for wipers frozen to the windshield but what I do when I park the car is lift the wipers so they are not resting on the windshield while the car is parked.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put some rags under the wipers when it gets cold out, but i usually have a cover for my front window so no snow falls on it. That way no ice gets in there.

thanks i will try what you guys said.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Doors on taurus and the cold do not mix. my friend has a taurus and his parents have a taurus and my older sister has a taurus. when they go to shut their doors in the winter they pop back open they don't wanna latch i tell them keeping lubed helps. but if u need a quick fix for the door u gotta mess with that latch in the door just to get it moving. (don't push the latch up bad things happen when u try to shut the door) Cold and snow rocks keep it safe

oh almost forgot. when u get in your car and u have the defrost running snow or previous ice melts and u get home shut your car off go inside. by the time u realize it your wipers are frozen to your windshield. over time you can mess up the nylon gears and you can go through wipers pretty fast. take 2 pieces of cardboard stick under the wipers (note wrap the cardboard piece with duct tape so you don't have paper on your wipers or window, or if u have smooth cardboard like boxes that come with pictures on em will do)

also adding Heat to your tank helps.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
WD40 in the lock cylinders and latches helps keep them from freezing since it is both a lubricant and water repellent. I always put silicone spray on door and trunk rubbers to help prevent sticking. You can also wipe them with vaseline as that'll do the same thing. If your doors are frozen shut due to a layer of ice, like the aftermath of freezing rain, just grab a pail/jug of hot water and pour it over the door to melt the ice. Do the same for a frozen windshield or wipers frozen to the windshield. And if you know ahead of time that you're gonna get freezing rain, swing the wiper arms up off the windshield for the night so they can't get frozen to it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I
what other tips do you have?

Moved to Texas have not had a problem since.
not a bad idea
:banana:

Putting WD-40 on the seal of your doors and stuff, to keep them from freezing will that hurt the rubber.
Don't put WD40 on the door seals - use it in the latches and lock cylinders. On the door seals, use silicone spray or vaseline - but wipe off the excess so you don't get it on your clothes.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I wouldn't suggest putting hot water on iced glass. It can cause it to crack. I've seen the aftermath, but never had it happen to me. Mainly because I live in Florida, and it doesn't get nearly that cold in the winter here.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The WD-40 contains mineral spirits (50%) and liquified petroleum gas (25%), according to the MSDS sheets. That will eat away at the rubber seals. Use silicone spray or grease on the seals.

Also, WD-40 is good for cleaning the lock cylinders and locking mechanisms, however it will attract dirt, long term. Use the WD-40 to clean them, then spray them with white lithium grease to lubricate them.

JR

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Blow dryer works too for frozen doors.

Sad story time (basically, a don't do this kinda deal):

Went to the car wash last week (one of the DIY ones) and washed the car. On the 15 minute drive home, my doors froze...while I was stuck in the car. Had to sit in my car in the garage for a while until I managed to get out of the back right door...

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Never had any of the locks freeze. Only get ice over the door seams holding shut. I just bang on the ice until it cracks at the door seem and open the door.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts