Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have black taurus, and want to tint the brown tailights on my car. legally speaking would i be allowed to tint the whole back end black?

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
i did this at the beggining of the summer... painted the light bar and the reflectors white and blacked out my tail lights. i've gotten one ticket so far. but i bought a spare set of lights so i just changed them and got the ticket dismissed. but yeah you can get pulled over for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Did you get pulled over for the tint or the painted light bar? BTW I'm going to paint my taillights. What kind of paint do I need to use?

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
the cop pulled me over because my taillight lenses were black. than he also preceeded to give me a tint ticket on top of that. being my 3rd tint ticket for $90.. i finally just ripped the tint off the front windows and switched my taillight lenses with ones that weren't painted, and got both the tickets dismissed. (than i went home and put my black tail lights back on.
) if you want to paint your lenses use niteshades from http://summitracing.com it was about $18 shipped. and if you want to do your light bar, i just bought spray paint and clear coat from pepboys.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
before i painted my tailights black with niteshade, i wend to the DMV and asked an officer about it. and he said is that the only requirement is at night the taillights must be visible from 500ft. he said otherwise it doesn't matter what there like during the day, just as long as the bulb colors stay the same. ETC.. brake light (red). so it must be an ohio thing then.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
you should get his name incase u ever do get pulled over for it. so if he's wrong u can blame him. its illegal here in michigan. even the covers for the tail lights. the cop thought mine were covers, i had to tell him a million times that i painted them. just make sure you can see some of your brake lights during the day. or you'll get rear ended. too many people like to tailgate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
just make sure you can see some of your brake lights during the day. or you'll get rear ended. too many people like to tailgate.

"some of your brake lights"? Ah, it's the fault of tailgaters, then?

The purpose of brake lights is to signal those drivers behind you that you are braking. It takes at least 1/4sec for the brain to tell the body to react, from the time of the first indication that the car in front has hit their brakes.

If that indication is reduced, then the reaction time is no longer sufficient for the following car to stop in time. It's bad enough that lights are reduced in effectiveness at night. It also makes it harder for other drivers to judge distances if the lights are dimmer.

This is compounded in the daylight which makes the lights even harder to see. Anybody who tints their taillight/brake light lenses is more responsible for an accident than so-called tailgater.

But as long as everybody looks cool. That's really the important thing. Image is everything.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Jan 25 2004, 04:23 AM
Ditto.

You can tint your taillights and still be perfectly visible. There are many tricks you can use to allow more light to shine through so people can see you braking easily.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by RAMdrd@Jan 25 2004, 12:40 AM
just make sure you can see some of your brake lights during the day. or you'll get rear ended. too many people like to tailgate.

"some of your brake lights"? Ah, it's the fault of tailgaters, then?

The purpose of brake lights is to signal those drivers behind you that you are braking. It takes at least 1/4sec for the brain to tell the body to react, from the time of the first indication that the car in front has hit their brakes.

If that indication is reduced, then the reaction time is no longer sufficient for the following car to stop in time. It's bad enough that lights are reduced in effectiveness at night. It also makes it harder for other drivers to judge distances if the lights are dimmer.

This is compounded in the daylight which makes the lights even harder to see. Anybody who tints their taillight/brake light lenses is more responsible for an accident than so-called tailgater.

But as long as everybody looks cool. That's really the important thing. Image is everything.
Oh, get a grip already. She like's the tint on them, I like the tint on them. It's not your car! She can do whatever she wants!

Why does Sarah always get bugged about the way she likes her car to look? Looks perfectly fine to me.

So are you gunna now yell at me for having 5 brake lights? Go ahead, I'm right here.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the positive input everybody, and i was just asking a question, my intention wasn't to start a debate, people need to relax.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
um..yeah... i was just telling him not to make it too dark because than people will have a harder time seeing them. EXpecially tailgaters because as it is they barely have any time to react. and if a tailgater hits me.. they better run. soo.. yeah... you can see my lights during the day. on top of my lights, if you can't notice the big huge 2 foot LED strip 3rd brake light right in front of your face, than you shouldn't be driving anyway. and ash, i'm anxious to see the clear lights if you make them!! that would be awesome. of course there was a neon in front of me yesterday with clear tails and led lights. and i could barely see them at all when he was braking. i'm positive you can see mine more. therefore, even clear some are hard to see. its not just the black ones. .. .................carry on...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts