Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the detroit_raver asked this question a while ago, and I did a search for her post, but couldn't find it. So, I guess I'll just ask again. Whats the best way to remove the residue leftover from tinting your windows?

B

·
0 Posts
You mean after you pull the tint off? If so, I used soapy water, a razor scraper, and a towel on the side windows. I had a buddy of mine do the rear one, so I wouldn't mess up the defroster. He used some sort of mix that he made up, and still won't tell me what's in it. Perhaps lacquer thinner would do a good job?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by jedhead@Jun 20 2004, 05:40 PM
When I had my tint replaced, the shop just used ammonia and water. They saturated the rear window, put a plastic bag and let it sit in the sun. The tint and glue came off after an hour or so.

Bob
Wait, isn't ammonia and water another name for Windex! :D

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
This is why they say don't use amonia on tinted windows. It desolves the glue. So this is what you want to use. If you are only doing one window, be careful not to let the overspray or fumes get on a window that you want to keep the tint on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stoner's (thats the name brand.....really) Tarminator. I used it to remove residue from vinyl stickers on my windows.

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
on my front windows, i put goo gone or something, i can't remember, all over the windows and covered them up with plastic bags for a few hours. than i just kept spraying soap and water on the windows and using a razor blade to get all the residue off. there is no way around it. you have to use a razor blade on the entire window. i was hoping not to, but it didn't work out that way. good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If you razor the back window, be reeeeeal careful not to razor the defroster lines. If you do mess up and nick the lines, you can use a metallic paint to bridge the gap. forget what it's called, but it goes for $3.99 at Autozone.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Citrisolve or GooGone will do it. Put it on with a rag, let soak and wipe it off. Follow with a good window cleaner, like Windex.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts