Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if anyone knows where to find the state (all states, but I really want my state of course) laws regarding the limits on tint.

A buddy of mine got pulled over by a state cop and got ticketed for it, and his cars tint is not really that dark.

I have a gift certificate to get the car tinted and ive had it since last july, im waiting to see how dark to get it.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Dunno about your state...

VA = 50% front side windows, 35% rear sides and rear windows
NC = 35% all windows, except suv's and trucks, where their rear windows can be spray painted black as long as you have two side view mirrors. Law enforcement is exempt from tint laws.
Neither state allows tinting of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by acreature@Feb 19 2004, 02:02 PM
Dunno about your state...

VA = 50% front side windows, 35% rear sides and rear windows
NC = 35% all windows, except suv's and trucks, where their rear windows can be spray painted black as long as you have two side view mirrors. Law enforcement is exempt from tint laws.
Neither state allows tinting of the windshield.
Wow, I think massachusetts is really strict about it.

I know peeps that have gotten pulled over for 30%.

-DC

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
In NC, the law is 35%, which is how much light that has to enter your window..... so 30% would be darker. Our tint meters are calibrated for 32%, so you have 3% to play with.

Remember, most newer vehicles have some factory tint, and when 35% legal tint is applied it may read 28% (like my Bull), which is technically illegal (in NC). Which may be the number one reason I wont enforce anything below 20%
Too much error with tint companies not allowing for factory tint.

Find a Cop with a tint meter before you get your car tinted and see if he'll check your windows factory tint level. So when you do get it tinted, you can ask for the proper tint so it isn't illegal

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here in Michigan, we can't tint anything in front of the B-pillar. Except for 4" at the top.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't know what the laws are in your state (or even what state you're in) but in California the California Highway Patrol says

Illegal....
  • Tinting the front side windows and the windshield (except for a narrow band at the top of the windshield). Windows behind the driver's head may be tinted. If rear window is tinted, right-side mirror is required (26708 VC). """"

check out the CHP site to see what's considered "street legal" in california

·
Registered
56 Posts
In New Mexico you can't have anything below 20% all around (minus the windshield), although I've had 5% in the back for almost a year and still haven't been caught! And I stroll up next to cops almost everyday when I'm driving!

Livin' life on the edge! Oh, yeah!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts