Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Taurus OHV
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Taurus OHV. 135,000 miles. There was some coolant leaking at the front of the engine. So I removed the water pump and the coolant hose. But it looks like coolant is seeping below the spot where the water pump was, and behind the crankshaft pulley on the right side of the pulley. I suspect I need to remove the front engine cover and replace the gasket. Do you agree? I don't really want to remove the front engine cover if there is another source of the leak.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Picture would help but you car has the approx mileage that the TC starts to leak. Usually it will leak and drop on the exhaust pipe below the crankshaft forming white deposits. I have done four of these on my multiple Taurus.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Still looking but for one thing I can say for sure is that your oil pan gasket is oozing out from under the timing cover and the oil pan. If your are not leaking oil when you make sharp turns you will soon. That gooey silicone gasket is supposed to be pushed in between the TC and oil pan. I ended up pushing my gasket back in with a screwdriver and RTV'd it in place.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Hard to tell if it is leaking. All my TC leaked on the back hole of the TC and not the front. Someone did post once that the front one was leaking but that is very rare in my opinion. I think it is impossible to tell since you removed the pump already. You can always just put the new pump on and try to see if it leaks. Usually the pump will leak from the weep holes first before any major leak. Weep holes are on the top and firewall side of the pump shaft so a leak in the front of that could be a TC gasket.
Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Metal Automotive exterior
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part
Metal Auto part Circle Personal protective equipment Gas

·
Registered
2001 Taurus OHV
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right. I am leaking oil. I’ve been trying to source the origin and I suspect there are several. But I didn’t realize the pan gasket was bulging out of place under the timing cover. I see what you mean and thank you.

I could replace the oil pan gasket and install the new water pump and see if the oil leaks and coolant leak disappear. Or, I could do the timing cover gasket at the same time. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I hate doing TC gaskets but if you remove the TC when you reinstall it you can reposition the pan gasket and put RTV on each side. I have done that on all my Taurus and never removed the pan. Or try to push in the gasket with screwdrivers or thin pieces of wood so not to damage the gasket. I never had a TC leak on the front hole just the back. You have to pull the harmonic balancer and I usually pull the alternator bracket and PS pump to get easier access. It is a toss up but to do it right you should pull the TC but it is a decent amount of work and parts cleaning.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
You can replace the oil pan gasket with FelPro gasket, you don't have to drop the exhaust pipe to do it.
Once the pan is lowered and gasket surfaces cleaned with degreaser, slide the new gasket in place, use small cable ties or short wires to hold the gasket to the pan, then slide the gasket to the other side of the pan and cable tie in place.
Install the corner bolts and remover cable ties as you move along.

The newer water pumps now have one weep hole, that lower weep hole is hard to see unless you know it is there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2001 Taurus OHV. 135,000 miles. There was some coolant leaking at the front of the engine. So I removed the water pump and the coolant hose. But it looks like coolant is seeping below the spot where the water pump was, and behind the crankshaft pulley on the right side of the pulley. I suspect I need to remove the front engine cover and replace the gasket. Do you agree? I don't really want to remove the front engine cover if there is another source of the leak.
Yes you got it right . change the gasket.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
You have to be careful about changing the pan gaskets because some years require dropping the Y pipe which is a task worst than the TC itself. There is a trip that can be used by loosening the oil pump after you drop the pan a few inches but that is tricky. Research if your year requires removing the Y pipe because those lower manifold bolts are hard to reach and sometimes are frozen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You have to be careful about changing the pan gaskets because some years require dropping the Y pipe which is a task worst than the TC itself. There is a trip that can be used by loosening the oil pump after you drop the pan a few inches but that is tricky. Research if your year requires removing the Y pipe because those lower manifold bolts are hard to reach and sometimes are frozen.
The 2001 is one of those. I have done 2 oil pan gaskets and neither way works well. Trying to stab the oil pump back in is hard and not for a first timer. It is impossible to install a 1 piece oil pan gasket without dropping the pan completely. It can be done with out dropping the y pipe but it is not fun. Of course, dropping the Y pipe isn't fun either. You also have to pull the O2 sensor on the back at least. I would suggest loosening the front pan bolts and pushing it back in if possible. Even a new gasket will end up squirting out after a few months once they start. I ended up dropping the pan and straightening it (they bend as bad as an old time valve cover).

It is hard to tell if the timing cover is leaking from the picture and the one I changed looked like a leak between the head gasket and block. We have changed 2 water pumps and they both leaked from the weep hole not the gasket. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus OHV
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deciding my course isn’t an easy decision. It’s my son’s car and he lives in a different city. I figure I probably should fix as much as I can while I’ve got the front engine area disassembled (this started as an air-conditioner repair). There is an oil leak that drips from the connectors on the starter solenoid. It drips onto the exhaust below and smokes and stinks. I am pretty confident the source is not the oil filter or the dipstick tube. So it must be the oil pan gasket I figure.

All things considered, I might take the deep dive and replace the oil pan gasket and the timing cover gasket.

There is a popular YouTube video where the mechanic disconnects the Y-pipe up top near the right and left exhaust manifolds and - without disconnecting the exhaust bolts underneath - lowers the assembly enough to completely remove the oil pan. Has someone had success with that method?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts