Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 taurus sedan with the 3.0 pushrod engine. I also have what seems to be a common problem with the timing cover gasket leaking. I needed it fixed quickly so I took it to the dealership to get it done.
They are telling me that the timing cover is warped and I need a new one. I asked if this was a common problem and they couldn't give me a straight answer.
The cover will take 2 months to get from Ford so this doesn't sound like a common component failure. Has anyone ever heard of thsi??

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I remember it was a problem on the first generation of Vulcans back in the 80's, but not lately. Very unusual, maybe just a random bad cast. Are they sure the oil pan gasket isn't leaking? That's basically a 100% failure rate on late model Vulcans and Duratecs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember it was a problem on the first generation of Vulcans back in the 80's, but not lately. Very unusual, maybe just a random bad cast. Are they sure the oil pan gasket isn't leaking? That's basically a 100% failure rate on late model Vulcans and Duratecs.
[/b]
They agreed it was the timing cover gasket that was leaking, it was pretty obvious once you remove everything and look at it. I'm questioning whether the cover is actually warped. I've never heard of this being a problem, and other people I've asked thought it sounded odd too. I think they are trying to rip me off.

·
Registered
834 Posts
2 months to get a new one??? :blink: You'd think this day and age, with internet and phones, that finding one stinkin car part would be easier than waiting 2 MONTHS!!!! What would be the problem with using a timing cover from a junkyard car?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
2 months seems WAy too long, consider calling another dealer in the area, or call a junkyard for the part. My timing cover is leaking on my '02 :ford:

·
Registered
134 Posts
2 months seems WAy too long, consider calling another dealer in the area, or call a junkyard for the part. My timing cover is leaking on my '02 :ford:
[/b]
I had post a few weeks ago asking if anyone experienced his problem. My mechanic told me he has seen it on numerous Taurus and Sables. He has not seen warped covers but ones that ha deteriorated enough that they could not be reused. Mine had slight corrosion on the lower left side of he cover. It cleaned up well and was not an issue. The cost, however was. Six hours labor and a new water pump and oil pan gasket. Figured in an "01 with 66k it was crazy not to do ithe pump and the pan gasket was necessary. FYI - the cover ( in stock) was a next day item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I had post a few weeks ago asking if anyone experienced his problem. My mechanic told me he has seen it on numerous Taurus and Sables. He has not seen warped covers but ones that ha deteriorated enough that they could not be reused. Mine had slight corrosion on the lower left side of he cover. It cleaned up well and was not an issue. The cost, however was. Six hours labor and a new water pump and oil pan gasket. Figured in an "01 with 66k it was crazy not to do ithe pump and the pan gasket was necessary. FYI - the cover ( in stock) was a next day item.
[/b][/quote]
The availibility of the cover wasn't the real issue. A warped cover??? I did the job myself and and there was no evidence that the cover was removed by the dealership. I checked the cover and it was not warped. They also told me that they had to put it back on with the origional gasket because it would still leak if even if they put a new gasket on it. Had they actually done this..it would have leaked like crazy because when I took it off the gasket was completely destroyed and half of it stuck to the cover and half to the block. Again..more evidence that they didn't even remove it to inspect it. Maybe I'm ranting at this point because a dishonest Ford dealer tried to rip me off by telling me I needed a new cover. Lesson learned I guess.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow, unbelieveable. How's it doing now? I ask because my timing cover is leaking again after replacing it 2 years ago.

Actually it started leaking slightly the day after I finished the job 2 years ago but it was such a PITA to replace I just lived with it until now. I noticed the cover was pretty pitted from years of use but was hoping the paper gasket would seal it up. Now I'm thinking about using some FIPG (form in place gasket) or RTV stuff to seal it up. Anyone tried doing that?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
QUOTE (Jeff1 @ Feb 2 2009, 06:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=698132
QUOTE (lama1410 @ Feb 1 2009, 11:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=698071
QUOTE (94clit @ Feb 1 2009, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=697911
2 months seems WAy too long, consider calling another dealer in the area, or call a junkyard for the part. My timing cover is leaking on my '02 :ford:[/b]
[/b][/quote]
The availibility of the cover wasn't the real issue. A warped cover??? I did the job myself and and there was no evidence that the cover was removed by the dealership. I checked the cover and it was not warped. They also told me that they had to put it back on with the origional gasket because it would still leak if even if they put a new gasket on it. Had they actually done this..it would have leaked like crazy because when I took it off the gasket was completely destroyed and half of it stuck to the cover and half to the block. Again..more evidence that they didn't even remove it to inspect it. Maybe I'm ranting at this point because a dishonest Ford dealer tried to rip me off by telling me I needed a new cover. Lesson learned I guess.
[/b][/quote]
So it sounds like someone at your dealer is trying to scam you. I"ve done a lot of front cover gaskets, and i've never seen a warped cover yet. I've seen a couple crack or break.. i've seen them horribly corroded... but never a warped one. I think they just wanted to get more money out of you. Even somewhat corroded covers can be reused - i just put silicone around the bad area to seal up the pitting. Haven't had one yet that came back leaking again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Nidan @ Mar 29 2009, 10:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713498
QUOTE (Jeff1 @ Feb 2 2009, 06:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=698132
QUOTE (lama1410 @ Feb 1 2009, 11:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=698071
QUOTE (94clit @ Feb 1 2009, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=697911
2 months seems WAy too long, consider calling another dealer in the area, or call a junkyard for the part. My timing cover is leaking on my '02 :ford:[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
So it sounds like someone at your dealer is trying to scam you. I"ve done a lot of front cover gaskets, and i've never seen a warped cover yet. I've seen a couple crack or break.. i've seen them horribly corroded... but never a warped one. I think they just wanted to get more money out of you. Even somewhat corroded covers can be reused - i just put silicone around the bad area to seal up the pitting. Haven't had one yet that came back leaking again.
[/b][/quote]

agreed.

I wonder if they charged him to remove and inspect the cover or did they just charge him for standard diag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts