Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might help someone. As a novice mechanic (years ago with RWD Chevys and the like) i recently decided to repair my Timing Cover leak & with 137k, also had timing set ready. The car, 01 Sable Front WD V6 3.0.

If you dont have AIR (ratchet/impact) dont even think about it! Did the water pump last year, not too bad without AIR. BUt timing cover & oil pan, no way without air, you cant "turn" most of the bolts/nuts once you get to it, it must be done with air-ratchet.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Timing chains arent really considered a wear item like external timing belts are. They will often last as long as the engine. If you have a very high mileage engine still in good shape, say 250+ K miles, it MAY need changing. If the front cover has to come off for some other reason (leak, etc) on a 100+ K mile engine, might as well replace the gears / chain while it is apart since it is easy and the parts are cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
...I'm surprised you didn't use the updated oil pan gasket. Ford's new version is like the reusable transmission gasket, with hard formed plastic, with the gasket inserts.

I did this same repair last month on a friend's '01 Taurus Vulcan. How much fun was it moving the Y-pipe around to get the oil pan in and out?

Looks like good work.

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I envy your shop/garage. How large is it?

Good to know a new oil pan gasket is available.

Do you have to disconnect y-pipe at the exhaust manifold?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts