Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had a timing chain skip a tooth on a 3.0 vulcan. If so what did the engine run like? I still can figure out this driveability problem. I cant stand the non cold start. It was 30 degrees today and it still gave me troubles I adjust the curb idle base screw By the mitchell manuel and i thought it was a sure fix but i still get a backfiring noise and popping at idle there is a noticeable miss in the motor. When i replaced all the injectors this weekend i noticed i had a lot of fuel in the upper intake. I did port the up[per intake and gasket matched it. I don't think i screwed it up since i did this last summer and had no troubles till now EVERY SENSOR AND fuel injector is new most parts are form ford including all Filters

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
the timing chain has a life of at least 100,000 miles. I'd easily rule that out.

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here's how I checked, and found my timing chain BAD, on my '87 3.0L Vulcan in my wagon.

Grab hold of the serpentine belt, or the crankshaft pulley if you want to get underneath. Rock the sucker back and forth to see if there's any play without the
valvetrain trying to move.

I had about 5 degrees of timing chain slop; I could get about an inch or so of movement - that's back and forth, at the serpentine belt as it went around the alternator pulley.

If there's any noticeable movement, it needs to be replaced.

After changing mine, I noticed about 3 mpg improvement and it would pull the hills without downshifting, or me having to floor it. Made quite a difference.

BTW, if you go in that far, change the water pump too! It's not that expensive, and you sure don't want to do THIS job twice!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts