Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this 2001 Taurus, 3.0liter flex fuel 143k, there is a noise coming from the engine when I accelerate, this happens at high and low rpm's. It sounds to me like a timing chain rattle. Sounds like metal on metal. This worries me because I dont want this thing to jump time someday when Im driving down the road. Anyone ever had a problem with this? Is this something you can adjust on a taurus?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Does it sound like this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its not really a squeak. The tensioner pulley has already been replaced because it was squeaking like that when I got it last year. This is more of a rattle/clank, but its high frequency, like its keeping right with the RPM's. I just realized something after messing with it a minute ago, its only making the noise as I drive down the road, at higher speeds, when the engine starts to lug. It dosent do it when the car is in park and is revved up, at any tempreture.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
No, its not really a squeak. The tensioner pulley has already been replaced because it was squeaking like that when I got it last year. This is more of a rattle/clank, but its high frequency, like its keeping right with the RPM's. I just realized something after messing with it a minute ago, its only making the noise as I drive down the road, at higher speeds, when the engine starts to lug. It dosent do it when the car is in park and is revved up, at any tempreture.
I have had timing chain noise, had timing chain jump time.

They make noise when you rev the engine a bit sitting still. The location of the noise is easy to locate. Remove the belt to be sure it is not the water pump or alternator.

Process of elimination is a good diag tool.

I never had a Vulcan chain fail but did have one on a Exxex got really noisy. Did one on a Dodge slant 6 that had skipped several teeth. Had a Dodge 318 that lost it's teeth on the cam sprocket. (plastic)

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Given the age of your car I would replace it. If it's steel sprockets you may be able to go 200K miles. If you replace your timing chain a sprockets you'll probably restore power, have easier starts and may have an increase in fuel economy because the lag or wear is gone. So why wait for 200K?

Monsoon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that brings up another good point. When ever I start the car, even when warm, it usually hesitates after it fires up, like the engine is firing as I crank it, but it doesn't have enough power to start up strong. This only last for a second. doesn't seem to be having any other troubles running, and gets good fuel mileage though. are the timing gears really plastic in these things? seems awful cheap...also, is replacing the timing chain and gears expensive? I dont want to put much more money into this car, already pumped way more money into it then what it is worth. after the tranny and rear springs were replaced. :(

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
that brings up another good point. When ever I start the car, even when warm, it usually hesitates after it fires up, like the engine is firing as I crank it, but it doesn't have enough power to start up strong. This only last for a second. doesn't seem to be having any other troubles running, and gets good fuel mileage though. are the timing gears really plastic in these things? seems awful cheap...also, is replacing the timing chain and gears expensive? I dont want to put much more money into this car, already pumped way more money into it then what it is worth. after the tranny and rear springs were replaced. :(
"are the timing gears really plastic in these things? seems awful cheap...also"

Doubt if any plastic gears have been around since the early 70's. Came and failed in short order. Only one I personally saw was '72 318 dodge plastic teeth all gone. It had aluminum core with plastic teeth around the rim. Story was plastic was to reduce noise. Poorly thought out, poorly tested, or never tested. Not sure Ford ever used them. GM started it and had failures within months.

Also some heat treaded failures making soft steel gears and they failed early. Much of that poor quality issue was gone by the early 80's. Possible to find aftermarket gears not hard. Quick file test. I have seen soft gear failure and it is a mess you might not imagine. Little spears of metal, sharp as razors all inside the engine.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
67 GTO 389. Plastic teeth. All sheared off, and ended up in the oil pan. Had to pull the pan to clean the debris out. One of the stupidest automotive "improvements" ever!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I would say most OEM timing chain gear sets are cheesy. For example, I had a 305 chevy V8. At 40K miles the top gear was made out of aluminum and nylon. This is recipe for disaster. Due the nylon starting to wear the chain was getting to be loose, 1-inch slack easy.

I replaced the OEM with a double roller high performance chain gear set. Never had a problem after that, oh and I used roller rocker arms to go with it. Great combination to restore power, performance and fuel economy.

Monsoon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have also noticed that it only makes the noise when the engine is lugging. Like when it shifts into overdrive or even in 3rd gear, when I'm lugging up a hill ect...I can't seem to get it to make the noise when it is in Park or Neutral. Makes me thing it might be something in the tranny. the tranny was rebuilt recently...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On this 2001 Taurus, 3.0liter flex fuel 143k, there is a noise coming from the engine when I accelerate, this happens at high and low rpm's. It sounds to me like a timing chain rattle. Sounds like metal on metal. This worries me because I dont want this thing to jump time someday when Im driving down the road. Anyone ever had a problem with this? Is this something you can adjust on a taurus?
I think I have figured out what the problem is. I put a few gallons of 93 octane gasoline in the tank, and about 5 minutes later, the noise stopped completely. I believe it was the Crankshaft Position Censor that was allowing the engine to make that noise; due to precombution. I am going to probably replace the CPS, but does anyone have any experience with this symptom?
B)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
sounds like you might have a compression issue. when you get increased compression the lower grade gas will dentonate before the spark plug fires. this can be caused by a knock sensor going bad also ( if your engine has one )
a compression test will help point you in the right direction. a build of deposits might be to blame.
when the engine is warm is the best time to do a compression check. autozone has the tester available in loan a tool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will look to see if I have a knock sensor and do a compression test. Is there a way to test the Crank Position Sensor, like with a voltage meter? I want to see if I can diagnose it that way.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Doubt if any plastic gears have been around since the early 70's. Not sure Ford ever used them.
-chart-
Oh, Ford used them all right. I have replaced several Ford timing sets.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I will look to see if I have a knock sensor and do a compression test. Is there a way to test the Crank Position Sensor, like with a voltage meter? I want to see if I can diagnose it that way.
there is a dmm test. I am not sure where I seen it but i know its out there. google might be your friend on this one. I will see if i can find it in my notes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts