Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read a lot about the common coolant leaks on these cars...My daughters 04 Sable is leaking at the top rear of the timing case....too bad I did not figure this out until AFTER putting in a new water pump...anyway, it seems to be a straight forward job...I have gotten a lot of good tips from this site..... I plan on changing the timing belt and gears while I have the cover off, the car has about 135,000 and I figure I might as well do it now instead of when I have too! My questions are:

Will the leaking of the timing gastket cause the car to hesitate at times?

Should I use the permatex gasket stuff instead of the replacement gasket or along with the replacement gasket?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, there is a squeeking sound, kind of like a belt sound, coming from the top ceonter area of the engine.....I just read about the issue with the CPS....does this sound like the same problem and could cause the hesitation in the engine when going up a incline? Is the CPS in the 2004 models located on the timing cover, below the water pump?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Ok, I have read a lot about the common coolant leaks on these cars...My daughters 04 Sable is leaking at the top rear of the timing case....too bad I did not figure this out until AFTER putting in a new water pump...anyway, it seems to be a straight forward job...I have gotten a lot of good tips from this site..... I plan on changing the timing belt and gears while I have the cover off, the car has about 135,000 and I figure I might as well do it now instead of when I have too! My questions are:

Will the leaking of the timing gastket cause the car to hesitate at times?

Should I use the permatex gasket stuff instead of the replacement gasket or along with the replacement gasket?
Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Like most domestic engines, you car has a timing chain that tends to last for a very long time. It's not really a maintenance item, so make sure it's actually in bad shape before you do! I doubt the hesitation is being caused by the leak, if you provide a little more info about how it's hesitating I'm sure someone will have an idea as to why does it.

I would buy the right gasket and possibly use a sealant on it too, though lots of people don't like sealant so that's your option. I've seen a thread detailing the repair, I'll have to find it since I can't remember much about it, but the guy puts gasket maker on the weak parts if I recall correctly.

The CPS is located on the drivers side around the tstat housing. If there's a chirp on that side then you should look into it asap. If it's on the passenger side, it could be a slipping belt, bad bearing or a tension issue causing that.

Here's the thread: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/145937-timing-chain-cover-gasket-improved.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts