Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help! Timing a 2000 ses duratec 3.0 dohc

:eek:the ex threw a couple rod bearings so i decided to help her save thousands and do the work myself...had engine torn down to nearly just the block.. cleaned sludge n all from most all components...problem i am having is that in my inexperience i tore down the top half with out having at tdc... nor did i mark position of cams... i have chilton manual...now anyways... the problem is the timing book says use marks on back side..i heard just use marks on front and the colored links instead...which is all good except that to line them up the the lobes of the cam some face down but the vales arent allowing that to happen... what do i do?:eek: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! NEED THIS CAR OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY!! NOW!!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Well it is a bit complicated.

LH Timing Chain

51. Verify timing index links on LH timing chain are in alignment with timing index marks on LH crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprockets

52. Install RH timing chain crankshaft sprocket onto crankshaft. Align crankshaft key with keyway on crankshaft sprocket.

53. Install RH timing chain guide and retaining bolts to engine. Tighten RH timing chain guide retaining bolts to 20-30 N-m (15-22 lb-ft).

54. Install RH timing chain over RH crankshaft sprocket and RH camshaft sprockets. Align timing index links on RH timing chain with timing index marks on RH crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprockets.

55. CAUTION: Timing chain tensioners must be reinstalled onto engine while compressed and locked. Failure to compress timing chain tensioners prior to installation may cause damage to engine.

Install compressed RH timing chain tensioner arm over alignment dowel on RH cylinder head.

56. Install RH timing chain tensioner and retaining bolts onto cylinder blocks. Tighten RH timing chain tensioner retaining bolts to 20-30 N-m (15-22 lb-ft).

RH Timing Chain

57. Verify timing flags (marked RFF) on camshaft sprockets are pointing toward each other. Verify timing index links on RH timing chain are in alignment with timing index marks on RH crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprockets.

58. CAUTION: Crankshaft keyway must be at the 11 o'clock location prior to installation of the LH cylinder head rocker arms. Failure to do so may lead to camshaft damage.

Note: Make sure rocker arms are installed in their original locations.

Lubricate rocker arms by immersing rocker arm in Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579-D or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M99C80-A and install rocker arms onto LH cylinder head under camshafts while lifting camshafts.

59. CAUTION: Do not install LH cylinder head camshaft journal thrust caps until camshaft journal caps are installed or damage to the thrust caps may occur.

With LH cylinder head rocker arms installed, align LH cylinder head camshaft end play using thrust caps as a reference. Then tighten LH cylinder head camshaft journal cap bolts in sequence shown to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in) leaving thrust caps loose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts