Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've never had to buy my own tires before and I was hoping y'all would have some suggestions on good tires for my bull. For a car that doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket options there sure are a lot of tires to choose from :)

And I know different tires are better in certain categories than others, so here's some context:
-For The Glorious Deathmobile Mark II, a souped up (wip) '06 Taurus and Vulcan with stock rims, gonna play around with sway bars and maybe spacers and springs (maybe)
-Good for Pennsylvanian winter, but also good for summer
-Fuel economy, stuff ain't cheap
-Used on the highway
-And food delivery
-And backroads
-Drifting
-Street racing
-good oversteer
-looks good on 5 spoke stock rims against metallic silver body, no whitewalls or lettering, looks good without but even better with TireWet
-Must be able to survive NOS explosion
-Fats

I feel like I'm asking a bit much, arn't I? Well, just gimme some suggestions. Tires! Everyone has them!

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I had these on a used Sable I bought. Lots of balance weights. Tells me they are out of round or just thicker on one side than the other. Same tire on my used buy Buick. Similar and they did not work well on that kind of car with sloppy handling. Mic Defender fixed that handling. Mic Touring X on my Taurus, not more than 1 oz weight on any, most with quarter ounce. Very nice quiet. Sams club special, $110 off the price.
Just my OP.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Depending on where you live, I have a set on 5 spoke rims with new tires that have less than 1000 miles on them but three years old. Still have the nubs on them. They are Sam's Club Michelins Defender XT 90k mile tires. I think they cost $120 each and were taken off IMG_3332.jpg IMG_3329.jpg IMG_3331.jpg my 2001 when I decided to junk it. I have used that brand on my Taurus for years. PM me if you are close to Canton, Oh and may want them. Maybe it would be worth a drive. Down to my last Taurus and think next year it will be junked.

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
315 Posts
If you're looking for something for winter in PA as well as summer and fuel economy, I'd suggest you pick up a set of rims or rims and tires if you have a place to store them. You can keep one set of wheels really nice for clean weather, and the other set for winter. You can run a narrow, high profile tire for winter, and if you want you can run lower profile, wider tires in non-snow months. It will also save you $60-$100 each season for tire change over and balance.

Specific tires? I don't have a specific one to recommend. I recommend Costco for their lifetime services or Walmart for a decent price. Check Firestone or one of their subsidiaries for a lifetime alignment. If might be about $200 but it's well worth it to keep tires and suspension components from wearing too early.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had excellent wear from Michelin tires. I have 44K miles on the current set and they look almost new, they are comfortable, and they handle well. I bought them from America's Tire Store (Discount Tire in states other than California).

I had major problems with the Firestone tires that came with my 94 Explorer -- yes, those tires, the ones that delaminated and caused rollovers. I was uncomfortable with the tires and Firestone kept telling me it was the Explorer, not the tires. I took them to Discount Tire and the tech there showed me where all four Firestones had slipped belts! He recommended Michelin I have been with Michelin, and Discount Tire, ever since.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had Hankook Optimo Hv24 tires on the front of my Taurus when I bought it. Drove them through a winter, and really liked them. I never had them on the highway, though. Bear in mind, I live in a small town, and don't drive very far (I've driven less than 100 miles since I bought the car). I replaced all four tires with Cooper Touring tires. I haven't driven much on them, but the review I read on them leads me to think they're a good tire.

For winter tires, I had Firestone Winterforce, studded. They were awesome! Noisy with the studs, but excellent traction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi! I've never had to buy my own tires before and I was hoping y'all would have some suggestions on good tires for my bull. For a car that doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket options there sure are a lot of tires to choose from :)

And I know different tires are better in certain categories than others, so here's some context:
-For The Glorious Deathmobile Mark II, a souped up (wip) '06 Taurus and Vulcan with stock rims, gonna play around with sway bars and maybe spacers and springs (maybe)
-Good for Pennsylvanian winter, but also good for summer
-Fuel economy, stuff ain't cheap
-Used on the highway
-And food delivery
-And backroads
-Drifting
-Street racing
-good oversteer
-looks good on 5 spoke stock rims against metallic silver body, no whitewalls or lettering, looks good without but even better with TireWet
-Must be able to survive NOS explosion
-Fats

I feel like I'm asking a bit much, arn't I? Well, just gimme some suggestions. Tires! Everyone has them!
If you want to buy tires go to discounted wheel warehouse . com you will find smok'en deals on all kinds of tires.....check it out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts