Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a Taurus on the cheap and was wondering what these engines take timewise to replace? The reason I ask is that I've got one lined up (a 98 wagon) that has a good body but will not run. The owner thinks the engine has a knock or is siezed. He bought the car as is and purchased it for it's tires. I can get it for $200 and maybe less but I want to know what to expect if the engine needs to come out.

Also, is there a good pictorial/tutorial on this job?

Lastly, are these engines worth rebuilding or just replacing? I know the answer to that question really depends... but in general.

thanks!
Nick

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (777funk @ Jun 6 2010, 11:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810008
I'm looking to get a Taurus on the cheap and was wondering what these engines take timewise to replace? The reason I ask is that I've got one lined up (a 98 wagon) that has a good body but will not run. The owner thinks the engine has a knock or is siezed. He bought the car as is and purchased it for it's tires. I can get it for $200 and maybe less but I want to know what to expect if the engine needs to come out.

Also, is there a good pictorial/tutorial on this job?

Lastly, are these engines worth rebuilding or just replacing? I know the answer to that question really depends... but in general.

thanks!
Nick[/b]
For these cars its much cheaper to buy a used engine or transmission then it is to rebuild one. a used engine usually runs 300 or so or more depend on where you get it from. Also for time wise i have never attempted to replace a taurus engine but i hear the time needed varies on how good your mechanical skills are. I hear for gen 3's and 4's its easier to drop the engine on the subframe then pulling it out the top.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If you haven't done it before, figure a weekend to drop and replace the powertrain mudule (front subframe with engine and transmission). It's easier to drop the whole thing out the bottom, than to try to take it out the top.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
Does anyone have a link to the proceedure? I'd love to see pics of this in action.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The most important " Quick Tip " I can give is to make sure that, if you're changing the engine and transmission as a unit, make sure the donor engine/transmission combination matches to unit you are replacing.

Popeye

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a good thread on this or another forum removing the engine on these things?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
well it is a heck of a lot easier to swap a vulcan than it is to swap a duratec! mine took forever it seems but a lot of that was making parts work between years and waiting for them to arrive. if you get a similar year engine 98/99 it shouldn't take more that a couple weekends if you sluff off lol

book time for a 2000 duratec was something like 18 or 19 hours a vulcan should be much less than that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts