Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Just remember when looking for tires think about what ya want out of it. If you want it to last long and just provide decent traction get something with a high treadwear rating, and a B or A traction rating. If you really want it to handle your gonna have to give up some of that treadwear for a softer compound tire. With a real soft tire I bet you could take hairpins at 80 with a stock suspension ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 960AS.
I have them on my car now which provide excellent dry and wet traction (rated the best all-season performance tire) I mainly got them so I didn't have to get 2 sets of tires, street and track (R-compound), for autocross/track.
But they are a little pricey at 150 a tire but I also got a 100$ rebate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS? I have RE950s on a different car before and they were awesome in the wet and I did a whole lot of snow in them too... the 960AS is newer. Ok, I suppose they are not as cheap though as the Kumhos and probably a bit overkill.

Right now I've got Sumitomo HTR H4s on my bull in stock 215/60/16, got them at Sears.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by ford_ses@Oct 5 2006, 11:06 PM
Thanks, I think there might be an American Tire near me.

Another to throw into the mix...this one is looking VERY attractive. It's at the high end of what I want to spend, but it rates really well and has a great treadwear rating, so if it lasts longer, it's worth the extra dollars. I've heard really good things about these too, so the Yokohama Avid V4-S is now an option :) The specs look really good, better than the Dunlop.

I also liked the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S but it's more than I want to spend and the Yokohama rates basically the same in most categories, and is better in treadwear.

The Yokohama is looking a little more attractive than the Kumho because of the treadwear...the treadwear warranty is twice as long and the treadwear rating is higher - 500 vs. 420.

Here's a comparison of the Kumho, Dunlop, and Yokohama: TireRack link

I know where I can get the Dunlops, but I haven't looked for Yokohama dealers yet. Pep Boys supposedly has the Kumhos.

Anyone know where I could get the Yokos? NTB's website seems to be down, and obviously I cant call them at 11pm...Yokohama's site lists car dealers that haven't been around for a year and a half so I don't know how accurate that is.

Sorry, that was long. Cliffnotes: I'm considering the Yokohama Avid V4-S now as well.
Try tirerack.com if you cant find them anywhere. They will ship them to you or an approved installer as well.

-DC

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm still trying to find a place that can get them locally...if I can't, then ordering from Tirerack would be an option.

I found a couple Yokohama dealers, I just have to find out if they have Avid V4S in stock, or I might hit Pep Boys and pick up the Kumhos...I could go either way between those two. I think the Yoko would probably be better in the snow, and the treadwear rating is attractive too, but I'd be very happy with either one.

I also picked up a new matching wheel at the junkyard today, since I bought the car with one banged up wheel (the edge of the rim is slightly bent and it has some curb rash). I'll have it all cleaned up tomorrow, and I can weigh it if anyone wants to know what a stock SE/SES wheel weighs without a tire B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I got new tires...I went and did some more research and veered off and bought a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/As in 225/55HR16. They are miles better than the old Continentals...MUCH better grip, quieter, more connected feel through the wheel. I like them alot so far, but I have at least one wheel that isn't quite balanced so I'm getting it rebalanced next weekend...then I can get a better feel for them. But so far I like them :)

I'll post up a full report when I rack up some more miles when they're balanced properly :banana:

BFG Traction T/A H

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
no they will make you explode because the tread is too good for wagons.

--sorry but i had too, better tires for any car will make the ride and handling better no matter what the car is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK. Thanks for the reply. I just wasn't sure if there were any performance issues that would prevent them from working on a wagon v. a sedan, which is what most posters here seem to have.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nope, you'd be good with those tires :) If you've got the stock Continentals, you'll notice a HUGE difference.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I've been running Wynstar Exocets since I got my new wheels. Been pretty satisfied with them, and cheap too. I think I paide $55 per tire.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts